Stony Brook men’s basketball misses out on JUCO recruit

Trey Anderson

An all-region point guard from Neosho County Community College in Kansas has decided against continuing his college basketball career at Stony Brook University.

Trey Anderson, a 6′ 4″, 180-pound sophomore, earned all-region honors for his performances with the Panthers and will be suiting up for South Alabama next season, he said on his Twitter page.

“Just signed these papers for South Alabama! #powpow” Anderson tweeted on Friday afternoon.

Anderson was at Stony Brook University on a visit from Monday through Wednesday of this week, he confirmed earlier this week.

At the time of his visit, Anderson had his choices down to South Alabama, Missouri State and Stony Brook.

Anderson averaged 20 points, eight rebounds, and seven assists a game. He scored 621 points and shot 48 percent from the field, according to the Neosho athletics website.

He was a first-team selection to the Region VI men’s basketball team, but was a second-team all-conference selection.

After a 16-15 season, the Panthers went out in the first round of the Region VI tournament, falling to Garden City, 86-62, on March 1. Anderson scored 31 points, recorded four assists and grabbed 10 rebounds for Neosho.

Before transferring to Neosho, Anderson spent two seasons at St. Mary’s. He redshirted his freshman year, then in his first playing season saw an average of four minutes per game over 17 games. He scored 1.3 points and grabbed .4 rebounds per game.

Anderson also played one minute in the 2010 NCAA national championship tournament, hitting two free throws against Baylor.