Enrollment Sidebar

Stop pulling your hair out about enrollment because Richard Gatteau, director of the academic and pre-professional advising center, has some options that can your make schedule look a lot better.

First, clear your university account. Gatteau said usually a couple thousand students have bursar holds that prevent them from enrolling in classes. So, log on to SOLAR today and make sure you have no holds.

Register on time. Choose your classes on the exact day and time you are assigned. According to Gatteau, approximately 15 to 20 percent of students do not enroll on time. To optimize your chances of getting that perfect schedule, enroll as early as possible.

Pick only the classes you know you can handle. Don’t take 18 credits just because you think it will help you graduate faster. Gatteau said this could lead to students over-extending themselves and lowering their GPA.

Avoid having to retake classes. On the first attempt of any class, work the very hardest you possibly can. Gatteau suggests going to teachers’ office hours and any tutoring available. You are not automatically guaranteed a chance to repeat a course. Students who haven’t taken that course yet will be able to enroll in it before you.

Seriously consider taking summer and winter courses. These inter-sessions can help you progress in your major or help you ace that DEC that you desperately want to get out of the way. However, be warned that prices for these classes run differently than regular semesters. In the inter-sessions, you pay per credit. For a New York State resident student, the price is $207 per credit and for an out-of-state student it is $536 per credit.

Finally, seek advising. The academic advising office is located on the second floor of the Melville Library. There are walk-in hours from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until April 13. During spring break, you can walk in without an appointment from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Or, call 631-632-7082 and choose option two to make an appointment.