SBU Loses Former CIO

Photo Credit: Stony Brook University

Just months after retiring, former Chief Information Officer and co- founder of the New York State Education and Research Network, Richard Reeder died.  Reeder succumbed to a quickly advancing disease he was only recently diagnosed with, according to a letter from President Samuel L. Stanley, Jr. to the Stony Brook University faculty.

Reeder was a highly respected member of the Stony Brook University Community for more than 40 years, beginning as an undergraduate student studying psychology and engineering.  He began his career at the Behavioral Science lab and quickly took on a leadership position.

Reeder’s career at Stony Brook University moved to the Division of Information Technology in 1994.  It was in this division that he helped to create the new administrative systems at Stony Brook; it was the largest systems implementation project ever taken on by the university.

Reeder helped to found the New York State Education and Research Network (NYSERNet) in 1985 and served on the board of the organization for years after.  NYSERNet was created in order to foster science and education in New York State while working to advance network technology and related applications. According to Stanley, Stony Brook University has saved millions of dollars through Reeder’s work in NYSERNet.

The Division of Information and Reeder’s family are currently working to put together an endowment fund for student excellence in his name. Recipiants will be chosen based on faculty nominations.

He is survived by his wife, son, daughter-in-law and grandson. Colleagues will hold a memorial service on campus in April.