SBU-TV: Access Denied

Lights are officially out for SBU-TV as far as the Undergraduate Student Government Supreme Court sees it.

Early Monday morning Chief Justice Julian Cordero made the decision for SBU-TV’s appeal.

Cordero denied the once closed-circuit network’s appeal to the court case Television v. The Undergraduate Student Government at Stony Brook University.

The basis of the rejection was on no new relevant information that was not previously discussed in the briefs, evidence hearings or testimory.

SBU-TV also put in their appeal that Moiz Khan Malik, the event programming director for USG who is currently running for the president’s seat, should not have been speaking on behalf of the defendent’s case.

But the Supreme Court did not agree.

“The hearing that occurred was deemed to be fully acceptable,” according to Cordero’s appeal decision. “Mr. Khan’s ability to speak on behalf of the Undergraduate Student Government at Stony Brook University was granted by the court for this case. Should Stony Brook University Television objected to Mr. Khan’s speaking rights, prior notice should have been filed either before or during the hearing.”

The last point in the decision was about President Matthew Graham leaving during the Senate meeting. But because Graham is not a voting member, and left momentarily to ask permission to stay in the room later, it was acceptable.