Four Seawolves tabbed to lead team into battle next season

Redshirt-junior quarterback Tyquell Fields during a game against Fordham on Sept. 28. Fields will be one of four captains for Stony Brook football next season. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Football head coach Chuck Priore announced the 2020 season captains in a press release on Monday, Dec. 9.

Rover Augie Contressa, defensive back TJ Morrison, quarterback (QB) Tyquell Fields and offensive lineman Anthony Catapano— all of whom are redshirt-juniors — will captain the team next season.

Fields was named the starting QB back in August after spending the previous three years backing up Joe Carbone. In his first season as the starter, Fields led the team to a 5-7 record while throwing 16 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions. He completed 147 passes for 2,471 yards while rushing for an additional 338 yards and four touchdowns.

A staple of the offensive line, the past three seasons, Catapano played in 35 games during that time. In the 2019 season, the o-line allowed only 17 sacks, thanks in part to Catapano’s play.

Morrison, who has played in 36 games the past three seasons, has shown his ability to stay healthy and be on the field as much as he possibly can. Having been named to the third team All-Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Football in 2018, Morrison followed that up with 40 tackles, 1.5 for loss, one sack, a fumble recovery and an interception. His interception came at a key moment in the overtime loss against No. 2 James Madison, stopping the Dukes — who were in the red zone — from putting the game out of reach.

The top defensive player for Stony Brook in 2019 and possibly their overall team Most Valuable Player (MVP), Contressa did everything and anything for the Seawolves. Like Morrison, Contressa has played through pain and injuries, having 37 straight appearances in the past three seasons. Contressa either led the team or tied for the team high in three major categories: total tackles, tackles for loss and sacks. He led the team in total tackles with 88, tied redshirt-sophomore defensive back Reidgee Dimanche with 10.5 tackles for loss as well as leading the team with 3.5 sacks. Contressa’s on-field play in 2019 earned him a spot on the second team All-CAA Football team.

Fields and Morrison both attended Archbishop Stepinac High School, and were teammates with 2019 captain, redshirt-senior defensive back Gavin Heslop. This will mark the second year in a row that Stepinac has produced a Stony Brook captain.

Stony Brook kicks off their 2020 season on Saturday, Aug. 29 at Jack Coffey Field against the Fordham Rams.