#10 Cornell drops #12 Stony Brook lacrosse

The air was cold but the Stony Brook offense was colder as the #10 Cornell Big Red beat the #12 Stony Brook Seawolves, 17-9, on Tuesday night at LaValle Stadium.

The Seawolves looked a shadow of the team that was ranked as high as #4 in the country in the preseason, dropping passes and yielding large amounts of possession to the visitors. Stony Brook has never defeated Cornell, going 0-5 against the Big Red.

Cornell opened the scoring when David Lau capitalized on a Kevin Crowley (New Westminster, B.C.) turnover with 12:15 left in the first. Lau finished with five goals.

The Big Red scored again a little over a minute later when Tom Compitello (Hauppauge, N.Y.) dropped a pass. Cornell’s Rob Pannell raced away with the ground ball and passed to Roy Lang, who scored low.

Cornell had obviously watched tape on Stony Brook goaltender Rob Camposa (Syosset, N.Y.), as the Big Red took shot after shot low, scoring plenty of goals as a result. Camposa finished with 10 saves, and was pulled for the final three minutes after having allowed all 17 goals.

Lau scored again before Russ Bonanno (Seaford, N.Y.) finally found net for the Seawolves with 3:08 to go in the first.

Cornell then scored four straight, including a goal from about midfield when a Cornell attacker intercepted a Camposa pass, before Compitello received a pass from Crowley and stuck it in.

The teams went into the half with Cornell holding a commanding 11-3 lead.

The Big Red was able to stretch that lead to 15-6 by the end of the third quarter, and the game was truly out of Stony Brook’s reach.

Crowley led the Seawolves with two goals and two assists, but persistent Cornell double-teams held him in check for most of the night. Short Stony Brook possessions also limited him, keeping him off the field. Still, his four points were enough to move him to the top of Stony Brook’s all-time points list.

Faceoff man Adam Rand (Niantic, Conn.) won just 13-of-22 for the Seawolves, well below his usual percentage.

Compitello had three goals for the Seawolves.

It was the second-straight loss for the Seawolves, who fell to 3-3 this season. Cornell is 5-2.

Stony Brook’s next game is at home on Saturday at 1 p.m. The Seawolves will face Bryant in what is Stony Brook’s last non-conference game before America East play.