Seawolves defeat Sharks with dominant offensive display

Junior forward India Pagan jumps to throw the ball in the basket at the Stony Brook women’s basketball home opener on Friday, Nov. 8. On Wednesday’s win at Long Island University, she led Stony Brook in points scored with 15, while grabbing four rebounds. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Coming off a defense heavy victory over Sacred Heart, the Stony Brook women’s basketball went into Steinberg Wellness Center on Wednesday, Nov. 27 and put on an offensive clinic.

The Seawolves knocked off the winless Long Island University Sharks, 80-49.

“I thought we had a balanced attack today and our team made some really unselfish plays,” Stony Brook head coach Caroline McCombs said in a press release. “Our defense allowed us to play in transition which we always emphasize and offensively we were able to convert plays in transition.” 

Over the course of the game, 12 different Seawolves were able to get on the scoreboard. Of the Seawolves who scored points, four of them reached double-digit point totals. 

The Seawolves raced out to a 13-0 run a little more than six minutes into the game, but the Sharks finally got on the board with 3:43 left in the first, following a jumper by junior guard Jeydah Johnson. The Sharks proceeded to finish out the quarter on a 6-2 run, finding themselves down by 15-8 at the end of the first.

In the second quarter, Stony Brook got a big push from junior guard Victoria Johnson, who scored seven points in the quarter. At the half, the Seawolves found themselves up 37-20.

Junior forward India Pagan led Stony Brook in points scored with 15, while grabbing four rebounds. Graduate guard Kaela Hilaire did everything she could to secure a Seawolves victory, going 3-for-4 f on her shot attempts and hitting all four of her free throws for a total of 10 points. Hilaire also dished out 10 assists, garnering her first double-double in her short Seawolves career.

Redshirt-junior forward Oksana Gouchie-Provencher had two blocks during the course of the game. Gouchie-Provencher is now one blocked shot away from joining Stony Brook’s All-Time top-10 list.

Until the LIU game, the Seawolves defense was allowing an average of 57.2 points per game. The Sharks fell shy of that, while also falling short of their season average of 58.0 points per game.

The Seawolves will return home to Island Federal Arena after Thanksgiving to take on the Molloy College Lions on Tuesday, Dec. 3. Tipoff is set for 6:31 p.m.