Razorbacks hog ball en route to victory

Sophomore guard Anastasia Warren in a game against Manhattan on Nov. 8. Warren led Stony Brook on Nov. 17 in a game against Arkansas with 15 points. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

A matchup against a top-25 nationally ranked opponent proved to be too much for the Stony Brook women’s basketball team (3-1) as they were defeated by the No. 23 University of Arkansas Razorbacks (4-0) on Sunday, Nov. 17. The Razorbacks had no trouble scoring the ball and ended up outscoring the Seawolves 88-58.

“I thought we competed against a high powered offensive-minded Arkansas team today. Their run in the second quarter happened quickly and we weren’t able to overcome it,” Stony Brook head coach Caroline McCombs said in a press release. “Playing at this level and in this environment was an experience that we will take with us for the remainder of the season. It will help us zoom our focus in on the little things we talk about every day.”

For Stony Brook, scoring did not come as easily. Numerous times throughout the game were held scoreless, including a 4:50 stretch spanning the end of the first quarter and the beginning of the second quarter.

At the end of the first quarter, Stony Brook had been charged with eight team fouls, putting some of their key players in early foul trouble, forcing them to the bench. As halftime rolled around, Stony Brook found themselves down 51-30. Since scoring had come few and far between, only two players had scored more than six points. Overall, the Seawolves shot an abysmal 26.3% throughout the game compared to Arkansas, which shot 43.4%. 

Sophomore guard Anastasia Warren led Stony Brook in scoring with 15 points, including hitting two of her three shots from beyond the arc. In total, the Seawolves only made three of their 19 three-point tries. Aside from Warren, graduate forward Cheyenne Clark added seven points and seven rebounds.

Graduate transfer guard Kaela Hilaire was tied for a team-high eight points at the end of the first half but was held scoreless during the second half of the game. Hilaire finished the night with eight points, three rebounds and two assists. 

A positive note for the Seawolves play, they held the Razorbacks below their season average of 90 points. 

The Seawolves return to the Island for a matchup against the Iona Gaels on Nov. 21 with tipoff set for 6:31 p.m. at Island Federal Credit Union Arena.