Seawolves ink new class

Head coach Caroline McCombs during a Stony Brook Women’s Basketball practice. On Friday, she welcomed two new recruits — Kelis Corley and Randi Baldwin — who each signed letters of intent. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Women’s Basketball announced on Friday, Nov. 15 that Kelis Corley and Randi Baldwin have each signed National Letters of Intent.

“We are extremely excited to welcome Kelis Corley and Randi Baldwin to our Stony Brook Basketball Family,” Stony Brook head coach Caroline McCombs said in a press release. “These young women have tremendous basketball backgrounds with their high school and AAU programs and are highly competitive on the court and in the classroom. They are an outstanding fit for the culture we have established at Stony Brook.”

Baldwin, who plays at Elizabeth Seton Hall High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, is no stranger to playing in the spotlight, having played in the 2016 NIKE Tournament of Champions and the Bishop Walsh Girls Invitational Tournament in 2017 and 2019.

“I chose Stony Brook because it just felt right,” Baldwin said in the press release. “During my visit, I could picture myself there and understood that I would be in good hands. The coaching staff and players showed how compassionate and supportive they are of each other and it was something that I wanted to be apart of. I’m extremely excited to continue my academic and athletic journey at Stony Brook and I can’t wait for the new bonds and experiences that will be created.”

Corley wins on the court and off the court as well. During the 2018-19 season, Corley’s team went 36-2 while winning the Maryland state championship and a No. 2 ranking at GEICO High School Nationals. At the same time, Corely has managed to excel in the classroom as well, becoming a member of the National Honor Society and the National Society of High School Scholars. 

“I felt that signing with Stony Brook was the right choice for me mainly because of the environment,” Corley said. “The coaches are involved and caring and they create a family-like environment. I also chose Stony Brook because of their prestigious academics which will prepare me for life after basketball.”