Seawolves Roundup

MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY

The Seawolves men’s cross country team headed to the Bronx Saturday morning to partake in this year’s Iona Meet of Champions, at Van Cortland Park.

The squad placed ninth of 20 teams, with senior Alex Felce (Stroud, England) being the top Seawolves finisher. Coming in 15th overall, Felce finished the 8-kilometer course with a time of 25:59.65. Also completing in the top 25 was senior Daire Bermingham (Portmarnock, Ireland), finishing 22nd in 26:07.53.

The Seawolves do not race again until the ninth of next month, when they partake in the Metropolitan Championships.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The Seawolves women’s tennis team kicked off its 2009-2010 season this weekend by hosting the third annual Stony Brook Classic tourney.

The young Stony Brook squad, comprised of six underclassmen, held its own by winning a total of 22 matches in both doubles and singles play. One of those underclassmen, freshman Nini Lagvilava (Tiblisi, Georgia), was perfect on the tourney, going 6-0 in both singles and doubles play to begin her collegiate career.

During Friday’s doubles matches, the Seawolves took 2 out of 3 games from each of the four teams they faced. Also, a total of five Stony Brook players had at least two singles victories in the tourney.

The ladies finish up the all-day tourney on Sunday and head to West Point for the Eastern Collegiate Invitational on Friday.

VOLLEYBALL

The Stony Brook volleyball team extended its winning streak to five this weekend, needing all five sets to defeat both Brown University (25-21, 25-19, 23-25, 25-27, 15-12) and Holy Cross University (21-25, 25-15, 27-29, 25-17, 15-11) at the Brown Invitational.

Against Brown, senior Harmonie Calinda (Huntington, N.Y.) notched yet another double-double, tallying 26 kills and 18 digs. The Seawolves had a total of five players reach the double digit mark in kills, and even managed to set the record for second most kills in school history at 116.

Facing Holy Cross, Stony Brook fed off of junior Ashley Headen’s (Alexandria, VA.) career high 21 kills to battle back and pull out a victory. The team tallied a season high 75 kills behind standout performances from both Headen and Calinda, who had 20 put-aways of her own.

The Seawolves now have a ten day inactive period before their next game, when they travel to Brooklyn to take on Long Island University on the 29th.