Marist foils Stony Brook women’s lacrosse comeback

Stony Brook women’s lacrosse battled back from a four goal deficit to tie Marist in the final minute of the game, but were unable to score the game winner as Marist’s Kelly Condon fired back to score the with just 26 seconds left in the game to give Marist a 9-8 victory over the Seawolves on Wednesday in Poughkeepsie.

The Seawolves were the first team to light the scoreboard with a quick goal by senior  Samantha Daja (East Islip, N.Y.).  Marist fired back with three unanswered goals to take a 3-1 lead in the first period.

Stony Brook would get within a goal thanks to an unassisted goal by senior Melissa Cook (Bay Shore, N.Y.) to cut the deficit to a goal.

The Seawolves tied the game early in the second half and proceeded to take the lead for the first time with back-to-back goals from senior midfielder Victoria Cable (Oakton, Va.).

Marist then went on a rampage against the Seawolves, scoring five unanswered goals in just five minutes to propel Marist to a four-goal advantage, 8-4.

For the next 20 minutes of the second half, the Seawolves were able to hold Marist’s offense to zero goals, while scoring four goals themselves to put them right back in an 8-8 tie with Marist.

Scoring for Stony Brook included freshman midfielder Samantha Citron (Jackson, N.J.), Cable, and two more goals from Cook giving both ladies hat tricks with three goals a piece.

With 3:41 left in the match, Stony Brook’s Cook’s potential game-winner was stopped by the goal post.

One of Stony Brook’s 19 turnovers occurred in the final minute leading to a Marist offensive attack in which they were able to put one past Stony Brook goalie, Micky Cahill (Bay Shore, N.Y.) for a 9 to 8 advantage.

Stony Brook would need to win the draw to have a shot at yet again tying the game, but they were successful.  Marist won the faceoff and was able to run out to clock to edge the Seawolves who came close to pulling off a victory on the road.

Cable’s hat trick puts her  over 100 career goals in her career as a Seawolf.  She also has a team high 18 goals on the season already.

On the defensive effort, sophomore Justyne Passerelli (Glen Head, N.Y.) was a force on the defensive end forcing five Marist turnovers and winning five ground ball decisions.

Stony Brook will be back home to take on yet another MAAC conference team when they face Iona at LaValle Stadium on Saturday at 1 pm.