A Valentine’s Day Message For Wolfie

This February we celebrate not just Valentine’s day, but we mark a mile stone for our beloved Seawolf: his 16th birthday. He celebrated it by inviting all of us, his Stony Brook friends and family, to a huge birthday celebration. But there is one holiday close to his birthday. A day when most of us probably forget about Wolfie.

The day when you can tell others how much you love them and appreciate their friendship: Valentine’s day. Has Wolfie ever recieved a valentine in his 16 years of life? No one should be left out on Valentine’s day, including Wolfie.

I think he deserves a Valentine, and this why: Think about it, for every moment of his 16 years, Wolfie has been here at Stony Brook University promoting school spirit. This  has me thinking, Wolfie never went to elementary school where he would have  gotten a valentine from his class mates.  He never went to high school where he could have gotten a flower from another Seawolf. He skipped all that to come here. And what have we done for him? Bubkes. We’ve shown up to his birthday party, eaten his cake and haven’t even left a present?

Think about it. Have you ever brought him a present in your time here? I’m proud to say that I’ve been going to Wolfie’s birthday parties for as long as they’ve been thrown, but I feel bad that I have never given him a present. Come to think of it, I’ve never even given him a holiday present. Have you?

I think 2011 is the year when this all changes. Wolfie is more than a friend to us at Stony Brook; he is family. He’s been here for us through thick and thin through wins and losses. It’s time that we give back to the Seawolf that has given so much to us. We should give him what all of us have had at one time or another: a valentine. I am determined to make sure that Wolfie will not have to go another year without a valentine. I am  sending a public valentine to our beloved Wolfie.

Dear Wolfie,

With hair so fine it shines like silver pavement  on a cold winter’s night,

For more then a decade you’ve stood by our side, whether it’s a hot August day, or a cold, snowy night

You’re there cheering us on no matter the score.

Your pawprint is forever inscribed as the hallmark of Stony Brook Pride.

We’ve learned from your spirit and are enriched by your love to spread school spirit to one and all no matter how far.

You’ve  given your  time to spread happiness and cheer,  and you should know that with you as our mascot we have no fear.

Your battle cry can be heard from the mountains to the pacific seas

And we hope you’ll be here forever and never leave.

On behalf of Seawolves far and near, we hope you know just how much you mean   to our Stony Brook teams.

Wolfie should not be forgotten this Valentine’s day. So whether or not you have a Valentine, take a moment  to thank Wolfie and send him a Valentine.  No one should be left out on a day hallmarked by love. Wolfie— I’d love it if you’d be my valentine.

–Elizabeth Brenner