Stony Brook men’s soccer falls to UNH 1-0, start 0-2 in America East play

Senior striker Jarred Dass during a game versus Rider on Sept. 24. During a conference game at University of New Hampshire on Friday, Dass was given a red card and ejected from the game in the 67th minute. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

A one-sided affair that shouldn’t have been as close as it was, featuring only five total shots from Stony Brook compared to New Hampshire’s (UNH) astounding 25 total shots, left the Seawolves lucky to walk out having only lost by one goal on Friday, Oct. 4 in Durham, New Hampshire. 

Facing an undefeated No. 15 Wildcats squad, the Seawolves simply were not up to par in the afternoon. Stony Brook’s chances weren’t helped when senior striker and leading scorer, Jarred Dass, being given a red card and ejected in the 67th minute. Already struggling on offense, the Seawolves were helpless without their leading goal-scorer and all they could do after the Wildcats scored in the 44th minute was watch them take shot after shot. Stony Brook’s offensive ineptitude was exaggerated by a dominant New Hampshire offense that wouldn’t concede possession.

Stony Brook freshman goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser performed well considering the circumstances in the matchup. Kaiser had seven saves, just one short of his career-high in the game. He had to withstand nine shots on goal and still only allowed two goals in his last three outings. Kaiser has averaged 4.33 saves per game, which is good enough for second in the conference. He also has the most saves overall in the America East with 39. These statistics more accurately reflect his performance more than his 1.418 goals allowed per game, which is only good for a paltry sixth in the conference. 

The Seawolves fall to 3-7-1 with this loss and New Hampshire stays undefeated at 8-0-2 this season. This matchup sees the Seawolves fall to 0-2 in conference play overall, their worst conference start since they went 0-2 in 2008. Stony Brook has yet to score a point in conference play and sits in the bottom of the conference standings. The Seawolves also are the only team in the America East to score less than a goal per game on average, with .818 goals scored per game. New Hampshire, by contrast, ranks first in goals scored per game with 1.8 and allows the least goals per game with .50. 

The Seawolves have a week to rest and then come home to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Friday, Oct. 11 to battle Hartford in an important America East conference matchup within an all-time series that Stony Brook is winning 8-7-5.