Nominations for Presidential Search Committee are open

The online form sent out by the Office of the President for the presidential search committee. Nominations will be taken into consideration until 5 p.m. on July 31. PHOTO COURTESY STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY

The President’s Office is taking open nominations for the presidential search committee, the office said in an email that was sent on Friday, July 12.

The committee is accepting electronic nominations for a variety of representatives from across the university. The committee is searching for an undergraduate student, a graduate student, an academic Dean, an alum, a professional or support staff member and seven full-time faculty to serve as representatives.

The presidential search follows the announcement that President Stanley was appointed the next president at Michigan State University. Provost Michael Bernstein is acting as the interim president.

Presidential searches are governed by SUNY policy and guidelines, which outline who may sit on a search committee and how they are selected. According to the SUNY guidelines for the preliminary steps in the search process, the committee should “be diverse and have representatives from principal campus constituencies.”

The required secret ballot election for the faculty positions will be held from Aug. 26 through Sept. 13. As stated in the email, the goal is to have the search committee named mid-September to allow for the first search committee meeting to take place by the end of September.

The presidential search committee also plans to procure the services of a national search firm to assist the committee prior to their first meeting.

“Your engagement in shaping the search committee is critical as is the need to establish a committee that is both inclusive and representative of the many stakeholders across campus,” Kevin Law, chair of the presidential search committee, said in the email.

Law, a Stony Brook alumnus and chair of the Stony Brook Council, the university’s advisory and oversight board, is also responsible for making “appointments to the remaining positions on the search committee from the recommendations submitted,” according to the guidelines.

With the mission to have a committee that represents a broad diversity of opinion among campus, Law said in the email that it is important for the committee to “be able to represent the interests of the institution as a whole.”

Nominations will be taken into consideration until 5 p.m. on July 31.