Football releases complete list of transfers

Stony Brook football head coach Chuck Priore during a game in 2016. He recently announced two more players transferring to Stony Brook’s football program. EVAN YUSON/STATESMAN FILE

In what could be considered an embarrassment of riches, Stony Brook football head coach Chuck Priore added even more weapons to his treasure chest this week following the teams announcement of five players transferring into the program. Amongst the most recent additions were former two-star defensive end Sean Hammonds Jr., a graduate transfer from Ball State University, and Keirston Johnson, a former three-star linebacker from the University of South Florida (USF).

“As we embark on the 2019 season I am excited to announce the addition of five quality student athletes to our team,” Priore said in a press release. “Our on the field goals as a program are to continue to be an elite CAA team as well as a national power. I believe this group of transfers certainly provide us with the depth and experience necessary to compete at the highest level. We were excited about the 2019 season before these young men joined our team, so there is added reason for great optimism and excitement as we come together over the summer months.”

After graduating from Ball State University with a bachelors in Psychological Science, Hammonds Jr. decided he wanted one more season on the gridiron. A former two-sport athlete in high school, Hammonds Jr. garnered numerous awards and accomplishments.

Aside from three district championships, one semi-state title and a regional title, Hammonds Jr. was named captain in his senior year, the same year he was named to the All-District Five team as well as All-Metro, All-Bluegrass and All-State second team. In his lone season at Stony Brook, Hammonds Jr. will look to add the one thing that has eluded him: a college championship.

Johnson made his presence felt on Special Teams at USF, but he also succeeded off the field.

Having been named to the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 USF Athletics Honor Roll, Keirston Johnson cares as much about grades as he does football. Johnson was also named to the American Athletic Conference All-Academic Team during the 2017-18 academic year.

Hammonds Jr. and Johnson — who will both be eligible immediately — join Jean Constant, James Tunstall and Brandon Benson as well as an 11-man recruiting class. Following an appearance in the FCS playoffs in 2018 and a record seven players invited to NFL rookie minicamps, the Seawolves look to ride the wave of momentum and make a deep playoff appearance. #HOWLSEA20N opens at home on Aug. 29 versus Bryant.