Women’s Basketball adds two transfer guards

The Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team during a time out in a game against UMBC on February 16. The team announced the addition of two transfer guards, Kaela Hilaire and Victoria Johnson, on Thursday, May 16 in a press release. NOOR LONE/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook women’s basketball announced the addition of two transfer guards, Kaela Hilaire and Victoria Johnson, on Thursday, May 16 in a press release.

Head coach Caroline McCombs said in the press release that she is looking forward to the 2019-20 season with the new additions. “We feel very fortunate to have made a connection with Kaela and Victoria,” McCombs said. “They are both highly competitive student-athletes who have an unbelievable love for the game of basketball. They will continue to take our program to new heights. We welcome Kaela and Victoria into our Seawolves Basketball Family.”

Hilaire, is no stranger to playing on Long Island. Aside from being a four-time NewsdayAll-Long Island team member, Hilaire was named Newsday Girls Basketball Player of the Year in 2016 on the way to leading Floral Park to a Long Island title. Hilaire comes to Stony Brook as a graduate transfer following three years at Seton Hall University. Hilaire enjoyed success with the Pirates, including being a unanimous BIG EAST All-Freshman team selection in 2016-17. During her freshman season, Hilaire set Seton Hall’s freshman record for assists in a single season (125) and lead the conference rookies in scoring, assists and steals.

“Sometimes our lives have to be shaken up and changed to bring us to the place we’re meant to be,” Hilaire said. “Stony Brook is that place. Tell my family I’m coming home!”

Johnson comes to the Seawolves following two seasons at Hinds Community College in Mississippi, and had success leading the offensive gameplan. Johnson was named to the National Junior College Athletic Association First Team All-American this season, averaging 21.6 points per game. Her 21.6 points ranked ninth nationally in the NJCAA and her 83.9% free throw was 13th. In her freshman year, Johnson was honored as a Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) All-American and First Team All-Region 23 and finished second in the NJCAA scoring with 22.6 points per game.

“I chose Stony Brook because Coach McCombs and her staff made me feel right at home,” Johnson said. “I believe Stony Brook will give me a great experience and help me to grow even more as an athlete and a person. I also chose Stony Brook because of the academic side. They will provide me will all the tools I need to be successful. I am grateful and excited for this opportunity.”

Hilaire and Johnson will look to help fill the shoes of the graduating guard duo, Jerell Matthews and Shania Johnson who had much success on the court. The incoming floor generals will also be joined by incoming freshman Gabrielle Gonzalez, a guard who ranked 30th in the state of Florida.