Six Seawolves earn Conference Awards in Softball

Junior Pitcher/First Baseman Melissa Rahrich pitches during a game against UMass Lowell on April 28. She was named America East Player of the Year for the second consecutive year, which marks only the fifth time in conference history that there has been a repeat winner. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Softball came out of the America East awards ceremony with a lot to smile about, after players were named to the All-Conference First Team, Second Team, Rookie Team, and All-Academic Team, as well as bringing home the top honor, the America East Player of the Year.

Junior Pitcher/First Baseman Melissa Rahrich was named America East Player of the Year for the second consecutive year, which marks only the fifth time in conference history that there has been a repeat winner. Senior Outfielder Katelyn Corr was named to the All-Academic Team; Rahrich, Senior Catcher Irene Rivera and Corr were named to the All-Conference First Team; Junior Outfielder Jourdin Hering and Junior Catcher/Designated Hitter Jordyn Nowakowski were named to the All-Conference Second Team and freshman pitcher Shelbi Denman was named to the All-Rookie Team.

Rahrich showed throughout the season that she could dominate both aspects of the game. She finished the regular season with a 16-11 record on the mound with a 2.20 ERA and 123 strikeouts as well as two saves. Rahrich also put up big numbers on the stat sheet on the offensive side. After tying the school record for RBI in a single season against Manhattan a week ago, she set the school record in RBI against Maine, finishing with 58 on the season to go along with 17 home runs and 11 doubles.

Corr leaves Stony Brook as the all-time leader in runs scored in a single season with 52. Aside from being named to All-Academic Team and All-Conference First Team this season, Corr was on the America East All-Tournament Team last season.

Coming up clutch in big situations was nothing new for Rivera when she came to Stony Brook. Having been named a Second Team All-League Selection in high school, Rivera added to her trophy case numerous times as a Seawolf. Throughout her time, Rivera was on the All-Conference First Team twice, All-Conference Second Team twice, America East All-Tournament Team in her freshman year as well as All-Rookie Team that same year. One of Rivera’s most memorable moments came on day one of the America East Championships in 2017 when she hit a game-winning, walk off home run vs. UMBC.

Following a three-sport high school career and leading her high school to its first league title ever, Jourdin Hering has shown she can play at the top level. Hering joined the Seawolves in 2017 and took home America East Rookie of the Week honors twice, and was named to America East All-Rookie Team that season. Her all-around play on the field also helped her secure a spot on the All-Conference Second Team.

Having been the number one ranked snowboarder national in her age group as a 14-year-old, one could say Softball was not Jordyn Nowakowski’s first love, but don’t tell that to the opposing team. Known for her defensive prowess, Nowakowski committed only three errors on the season and threw out a couple runners trying to steal a base.

Shelbi Denman, the lone All-Rookie team representative on the Seawolves, more than earned her spot on the All-Rookie team. Denman finished the season with a 10-5 record, eight complete games, three shutouts, and a 2.38 ERA. Denman finished third in the America East Conference in ERA, behind Rahrich and UMBC’s Courtney Coppersmith, who both took home plenty of hardware of their own. Denman’s rookie season showed signs of great things to come in the future, and a nasty one-two punch next season for the Seawolves, pairing with Rahrich and sending home opposing batters.