Men’s Basketball brings on new additions for 2019-20 season

Head coach Geno Ford at a Stony Brook University Men’s Basketball game. The team recently signed on two new players for next season, Mouhamadou Gueye and Tyler Stephenson-Moore. COURTESY OF STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball announced the signing of two players on Wednesday, April 17 , Mouhamadou Gueye and Tyler Stephenson-Moore, as new additions to the team’s roster for the upcoming 2019-20 season.

“We are very excited to add such quality students and players to our program,” head coach Geno Ford said in a press release. “We wanted to continue to emphasize acquiring high-character guys who happen to also be good basketball players. Both of these guys have had major success in the classroom and on the basketball court.”

April 17 is the initial date in the regular period for Division I college basketball players to sign a National Letter of Intent, officially binding student-athletes to their institution for the upcoming season. Stephenson-Moore had verbally committed to Stony Brook in February after receiving offers from other schools such as Bryant and Robert Morris, while Gueye announced his verbal commitment in early April. Both signed their National Letters of Intent to join the Seawolves’ roster for next season.

Gueye is a 6’10”, 190-pound forward from Staten Island, New York who is transferring from Monroe College, a junior college in the Bronx. Making 21 starts for the Monroe Mustangs last season, Gueye led the team with 53 blocks while averaging less than 22 minutes per game. Gueye averaged 6.9 points per game while shooting 45.6%, ramping up his offensive output in the final games of the season. Currently a redshirt-sophomore, Gueye will have two years of eligibility left with Stony Brook.

“Mo is a very talented player who can play at multiple positions,” Ford said of Gueye. “He is a great defender and rim protector but also played point guard in high school. He has a very high ceiling and continues to grow into his body after being 5’9″ as a sophomore in high school.”

Stephenson-Moore is a 6’3”, 170-pound guard from Port Washington, New York. Hailing from Long Island Lutheran High School (LuHi) in Nassau County, the current high school senior averaged 14.1 points per game this season, guiding LuHi to the New York State Class AA State Federation championship title. Stephenson-Moore was named by Newsday’s All-Long Island team and earned the MVP of the 2019 LuHi Postseason Invitational. He shot 42% from beyond the arc in his senior year, converting 53 3-pointers.

“Tyler will add some offensive versatility to our program,” Ford said. “He has good lateral quickness and long arms and is also a terrific shooter, making him dangerous on both ends of the floor. He has a high upside and is an excellent perimeter defender, while also possessing tremendous athleticism and shooting touch on the offensive end.”

Both Gueye and Stephenson-Moore will look to provide an immediate impact for the Seawolves next season. With roster spots open as a result of senior guard Jaron Cornish’s graduation and the outgoing transfers of sophomore guard Corry Long and freshman guard Jules Moor, there is an opportunity for Stony Brook’s newest players to shine.