Chuck Priore brings on additions to coaching staff

Stony Brook football head coach Chuck Priore during a game in 2016. Priore finalized his 2019-2020 staff on Monday, March 25. EVAN YUSON/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Football head coach Chuck Priore finalized his staff for the 2019-2020 season on March 25 with the hirings of Caleb Haynes, Josh Heinrich and Diamond Weaver.

Haynes was appointed as the team’s wide receivers coach after a stint as an offensive graduate assistant at Rice University in Houston, Texas and offensive coaching experience at his alma mater, Central Methodist University, in Fayette, Missouri. Haynes will replace former wide receivers coach Darren Paige, who left Stony Brook for the same job at Eastern Michigan University, which competes in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Heinrich will serve as director of football operations and assistant director of player personnel, both are new positions for the 2019-2020 season. He was director of football operations at conference rival University of Maine since 2016 and was formerly on the football staff at Fordham University and the State University of New York at Cortland. Heinrich also has game day experience with the New York Jets.

Weaver will take over as cornerbacks coach following one season at the University of Maine. A former professional football player and coaching intern for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Weaver has also been a coach for Pace University, the University of Rhode Island and the Green Bay Blizzard of the Indoor Football League.

In addition to the hirings, there has been movement amongst the current coaching staff. Weaver’s hiring shifts Defensive Coordinator Bobby McIntyre’s secondary focus to linebackers, as former linebackers coach Matt Hachmann became outside linebackers coach at Army West Point. Former Director of Athletic Performance for Football GC Yerry left for Army alongside Hachmann, and no replacement has been named for his title. Vincent Cagliostro, the current associate director of athletic performance for football should be in line for an expanded role. Defensive Line Coach Rob Noel also gains the title of defensive run game coordinator for next season.

The Seawolves’ spring ball season starts on March 26, while the regular season will kick off at Kenneth P. Lavalle Stadium on Aug. 26 against the Bryant University Bulldogs. Stony Brook will look to make it back to the FCS Playoffs after a first-round loss against Southeast Missouri.