Stony Brook men’s basketball clinches #5 seed with OT win over Hartford

The Seawolves came back from a 10-point deficit with 6:00 left in regulation to force the game into OT before defeating the Hartford Hawks, 79-73, at Chase Arena in Hartford on Wednesday. Stony Brook clinched the #5 seed in the upcoming America East championship tourney with the win.

With the loss, Hartford has now fallen into sixth place at 9-19 overall,

Hartford seemed to have the game in the bag, especially when, with 6:00 left in the second half, Morgan Sabia landed a three-pointer to give the Hawks a 57-47 lead. The Seawolves persevered and fought back by chipping away at the lead.

Seawolves guard Anthony Jackson (Columbus, Ohio) nailed a three-pointer soon after to shorten the lead to five. Jackson showed his true talents when, less than two minutes later, he scored again cutting the Hawks lead to only three points.

Leonard Hayes (Voorhees, N.J.), scored points towards the end of the game that tied the game 63-63 and sent the teams to overtime.

In the last minute of the game, the Seawolves scored seven out of eight free throw attempts and clinched the win.

It needs to be recognized that besides Bryan Dougher (Scotch Plains, N.J.), who scored 17 points, four of his teammates also found themselves scoring in the double digits.

Stony Brook will play their last game of the season at home against Binghamton at Pritchard Gymnasium at 2PM.