Jeff Boals resigns as Men’s Basketball head coach, joins Ohio University

Jeff Boals during halftime of his final game as head coach of the Stony Brook men’s basketball team on Saturday, March 9. EMMA HARRIS/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball Head Coach Jeff Boals resigned from his role and has become the new head coach at Ohio University, Athletics Director Shawn Heilbron announced on Sunday, March 17.

“When I hired Jeff three years ago, I believed that Stony Brook was getting an outstanding coach and leader who would position our men’s basketball program for long term success,” Heilbron said. “With success comes opportunity, and for Jeff, the chance to return to his alma mater as head coach was one that he could not pass up. I wish him, Katie, Sydney and Chase all the best as they move to Ohio.”

Boals became head coach during the 2016-17 season and lifted the team to the America East Semifinals. He leaves the team with a 55-41 overall record, including a 24-8 overall record in the 2018-19 season. The Seawolves ranked second in the America East Playoffs, the highest ranking the team received under Boals, but was later upset in the America East Quarterfinal 78-72 by Binghamton University.

Ohio University is Boals’ alma mater, where he was a two-time captain and four-year letterwinner for the Bobcats. His team later advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 1994 and won the Preseason NIT Championship after wins over Ohio State, New Mexico State, South Carolina and No. 14 Virginia the following year.

“I am incredibly grateful and honored to return home to my alma mater as the head men’s basketball at Ohio University,” Boals said in a press release. “My family and I are thrilled to see my coaching career come full circle with this opportunity. Sincere thanks to Dr. Nellis and to Jim Schaus for their confidence in me to lead the young men of Ohio both on and off the court.”

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball is looking for its 12th head coach in program history. This marks the second resignation for Athletics this season after former head coach Brendan Faherty left the Women’s Soccer program to pursue a head coaching gig at Yale University. Assistant coach Geno Ford will be the Seawolves’ interim head coach as they look for Boals’ replacement.