VanGinhoven, Pickel Jr. hat tricks not enough as Seawolves lose in OT

Junior attacker Cody VanGinhoven in a game against Marist on March 2. He was leading the Seawolf offense against Sacred Heart on March 5. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Men’s Lacrosse suffered a nail biting 12-11 overtime loss at the hands of Sacred Heart on Tuesday, March 5.

Both teams struggled to maintain the upper hand throughout the game as each surrendered three-straight scoring goals. Stony Brook was up 11-10 with three minutes remaining in regulation, but a goal by junior attackman Drew Edwards sent the game into overtime. Sloppy ball handling cost Stony Brook offensively and senior midfielder Max Tuttle scored with seven seconds remaining in the overtime period, giving Sacred Heart the victory.

“This was a hard fought game and an exciting college lacrosse game,” head coach Jim Nagle said in a press release. “We are really disappointed at the outcome. Our guys played hard, but we just didn’t make the plays we needed to at the end of the game to close it out.”

Leading the offense for Stony Brook were junior attackers Chris Pickel Jr. and Cody VanGinhoven, each posting a hat trick. The duo kept the Seawolves involved during runs, with Pickel Jr.’s third giving them their largest lead of the afternoon, 9-6.

Sophomore midfielder Patrick Kaschalk added two more goals, while senior long stick midfielder Justin Pugal and junior attackers Tom Haun and Jack Hannigan each added a goal. Haun and sophomore attacker Jack Walsh also had three assists on the day, while sophomore FO Nolan Enneguess won a career-best 12 faceoffs. However, the team could not contest Tuttle as he powered five shots through the back of the net, including both the opening and game-winning goals.

Losing their first overtime game of the season, the Seawolves were dealt their first loss in extra time since the heartbreaking 7-6 defeat to Binghamton on April 28, 2017. The Seawolves now sit with a record of 2-3, with all three losses coming at home and another home matchup coming this weekend.

“We will learn from this and we have another quick turnaround with Bryant coming in here on Saturday,” Nagle said.

The Seawolves host the Bryant University Bulldogs on Saturday at 12 p.m., capping off a three-game homestand.