Extra Points: Carmelo Anthony deal doesn’t address New York Knicks’ needs

To Adrian Szkolar, the deal for Melo just doesn't add up.

The Carmelo Anthony trade that has been confirmed only shows that Donnie Walsh really isn’t calling the shots, and to a disastrous end for Knicks fans.

Despite being responsible for one of the most incredible runs of dismantling a franchise — and then being fired years too late for it — Isiah Thomas is still making the important calls and is still allowed influence in the organization by Knicks owner James Dolan, for some inexplicable reason.

If you haven’t found out what the final trade is, here is what went down:

Knicks get: Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman

Nuggets get: Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, 2014 first rounder, additional 2nd round picks and cash.

The Knicks will also get Corey Brewer from Minnesota in exchange for Eddy Curry’s expiring contract and Anthony Randolph.

So what does this mean for the Knicks? They just gutted their roster for a player who doesn’t address any of their most pressing needs.

Not much needs to be said about Carmelo. The guy is simply one of the most explosive scorers in the game, no one will deny that.

No one will also deny that the Knicks are already a great offensive team, being that they are currently second in the NBA in points per game, averaging 106.2 points per game as of this writing.

While adding Carmelo is nice (even though the Knicks are trading 53.4 points per game in the four players being traded), he won’t address any of the team’s more pressing needs.

The Knicks may score a lot, but they are also tied with Cleveland for being the second worst defensive team in the league, giving up an average of 105.8 points per game.

While Anthony is a good (but not great) perimeter defender, he will not help the team’s lack of rebounding and low post defense, the two aspects of the game that the Knicks have big deficiencies in.

They are currently 27th in rebound differential (-3.3 per game) and, according to teamrankings.com, they are second-to-last in points allowed in the paint.

Supporters of the trade will say that what the Knicks traded can be replaced. But how? Amare and Carmelo alone will cost the Knicks around $38 million next year, more then half of the current salary cap of $58 million. If the Knicks decide to pick up Billups’ team option, they will have over $52 million committed to three players for next season.

So where is the cap room to address those previously mentioned issues? Turiaf isn’t going to cut it at center. Restricted free agent Marc Gasol would be a very interesting guy to go after, but it would be almost impossible to throw out an offer that the Bucks wouldn’t match. Tyson Chandler will be an unrestricted free agent, but he is injury prone and could cost more then the Knicks could afford to give.

I’m not even going into the other issue of replacing the production of Chandler and Gallinari. While Chandler would have had to go for cap reasons for Anthony, it’s going to be very hard to replace Gallinari, who fit well in D’Antoni’s system and is still getting better.

Carmelo may be that big name that teams covet, but the point is to win championships, not acquire star players. And, as past history has shown, all the championship teams were built with role players who supported the stars. The Knicks have the stars, but now lack the role players. They gutted their core to add a luxury that didn’t address any needs.