Seawolves name Ryan Anatol head men’s soccer coach

Following the resignation of former head coach Cesar Markovic in January, Stony Brook University has named Ryan Anatol the head coach of men’s soccer, the athletics department announced on Friday.

Anatol joins the Seawolves after spending time as an assistant coach with the University of South Florida, where he helped the Bulls to a 74-33-18 (.664) record, five NCAA Tournament appearances and a Big East championship.

“I am truly honored for the opportunity to be the head men’s soccer coach at Stony Brook University,” Anatol said in the press release.  “I am looking forward to working at such a fine academic institution, building a program that the community will be proud of and leading it to success on and off the field.”

Anatol also served as recruiting coordinator at USF, bringing in several top recruiting classes to the Bulls. Eight of Anatol’s players have gone on to either play in or be drafted by Major League Soccer.

Anatol spent two seasons as an assistant coach at Akron, helping lead the Zips to the NCAA Tournament in both seasons, winning the 2004 Mid-American Conference championship and compiling a 28-10-5 record. His efforts helped lay the groundwork for a Zips program that is a perennial national powerhouse and  has now won four straight MAC championships and won the NCAA National Championship in 2010.

Markovic resigned to take a head coaching position at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. He compiled a 58-59-22 overall record and a 24-20-10 mark in the America East during his seven seasons with the Seawolves.