Women’s basketball breaks skid with victory over Vermont

Redshirt-sophomore forward Oksana Gouchie-Provencher with the ball, right, in a game against New Paltz on Wednesday, Nov. 28. During the Saturday game against Vermont, she ignited the Seawolves’ third quarter by mixing jumpers and layups, scorng all 12 of her points during that period. SASCHA ROSIN/THE STATESMAN

The 3-pointer sunk with 4:41 left in the first half. Vermont freshman guard Rose Caverly extended the lead to nine after weathering a back and forth first quarter, and the home team appeared to be gaining control of the match. By halftime, Stony Brook’s deficit was only one point. By the end of the third quarter, the Catamounts lead had become an eight-point Seawolves lead, and it never went away.

Stony Brook women’s basketball endured a tough road test in Vermont on Saturday, Jan. 26, and triumphed 67-61, ending a two-game losing streak. The Seawolves offense started off slow, shooting 38 percent from the field and 18 percent from beyond the arc, but took off in the third quarter to secure the victory. Redshirt-sophomore forward Oksana Gouchie-Provencher ignited the run by mixing jumpers and layups, scoring all 12 of her points during that period.

The Seawolves also got a strong performance from their bench and outscored the Catamounts’ backups 23-2. Sophomore guard Jonae Cox led the way for the second rotation, scoring 11 points and five rebounds. Sophomore forward McKenzie Bushee added to the defensive effort with three rejections and freshman guard Anastasia Warren got the run started with a 3-pointer to open the second half.

“I’m really proud of our team today,” head coach Caroline McCombs said in a press release. “We were challenged in many ways and stayed focused and together on the road. I think this game instilled some confidence in our players that will lead to more growth for us this season.”

One of those challenges was the availability of one of the team’s primary scoring options. Senior guard Shania Johnson missed her first game of the year following a suspension for her spat with Albany junior Khepera Stokes in the 54-49 defeat on Wednesday, Jan. 23, while senior guard Jerell Matthews played in just her second game since returning from a six-week injury. Matthews led the team with 19 points and came up clutch from the line in the final minutes of the game, draining three of four free throw attempts to ice it for Stony Brook.

The Seawolves’ overall record stands at 15-5 following the victory and they improved to 4-3 in the America East. Their next match brings them home for a brief spell, hosting UMBC on Wednesday, Jan. 30. UMBC is currently tied at the bottom of the America East standings with a 1-6 record after ending a seven-game losing streak Saturday against New Hampshire. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.