Tobias Bischof named new Women’s Soccer head coach

Forward Alyssa Francese during a 2017 game against Hofstra. On Thursday, Jan. 24, former Hofstra Associate Head Coach Tobias Bischof was announced as new head coach of Stony Brook Women’s Soccer. At Hofstra in his first year as associate head coach, Bischof guided the team to a No.1 seed in the 2015 CAA Tournament with a 7-1-1 conference record and 13-6-2 overall record. SERENA TAUSZ/STATESMAN FILE

The vastly refining Stony Brook Women’s Soccer program gained a significant push with the announcement of former Hofstra Associate Head Coach Tobias Bischof as the new head coach on Thursday, Jan. 24.

Bischof enters the Stony Brook family after a substantially successful eight-year tenure at Hofstra which included appearances in the NCAA Tournament in 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2018. His tactical guidance contributed to the Pride’s 4-1 upset victory over the No. 22-ranked Boston College Eagles in the first round of the 2018 NCAA tournament.

“I want to thank Director of Athletics Shawn Heilbron, Associate Athletics Director Patrick Muffley and the rest of the search committee for granting me this opportunity,” Bischof said in a press release. “I am extremely appreciative, thankful and excited to join the Seawolves family. During my time spent on campus the positive energy and energetic vibe was something that captivated me greatly and is something I wanted to be part of.”

The Pride earned a 98-53-12 overall record and boasted a winning season in every year during his stint. Bischof spent his first four seasons as an assistant coach, where he assisted Hofstra in claiming the 2012 Colonial Athletic Association Championship and later earned two appearances in the conference finals.

In his first year as associate head coach, Bischof guided Hofstra to a No.1 seed in the 2015 CAA Tournament with a 7-1-1 conference record and 13-6-2 overall record. His insightful mentorship was preeminently showcased in 2017, when the Pride went 9-0 in conference action en route to winning the CAA Championship. Bischof also holds two 1-0 victories over Stony Brook from the 2017 and 2018 seasons, respectively.  

Bischof’s teachings are not only evident on the field, but inside the classroom as well. He guided the Pride to become one of the top institutions in the conference academically, capped off with a CAA Team Academic Excellence Award for having the highest women’s soccer program GPA in 2017.

“Tobi is a proven winner who will make an immediate impact on Stony Brook women’s soccer,” Heilbron said. “Our program is on a rapidly ascending trajectory, and I have every confidence that will continue under Tobi’s leadership.”

Prior to becoming one of the nation’s premier coaches, Bischof played and coached youth soccer in his native country of Germany. He worked with the Long Island Rough Riders of the Premier Development League after moving to the island in 2002.

Bischof will be joined by volunteer assistant coach Shannon Grogan, who played for the Seawolves from 2011 to 2014.