Women’s Swimming and Diving falls to St. Francis Brooklyn

The Stony Brook University pool located in the Pritchard Gymnasium. Stony Brook lost to St. Francis Brooklyn this past week. ARACELY JIMENEZ/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Women’s Swimming and Diving picked up three victories in its dual meet against St. Francis Brooklyn on Sunday, Nov.18 but was eventually defeated 133-107.

Despite the defeat, head coach Kerry Smith was pleased with her team’s performance in the pool.

“I couldn’t be prouder of our women,” Smith said. “When setting up the schedule for this year, this weekend was one in which I wanted to challenge them with back-to-back days to see how they’d respond. The women stepped up, supported each other and raced/dove well both days.”

The team picked up a victory in the final event of the meet, the 200-yard freestyle relay. The freshman quartet of Caroline Dunn, Haille Bogumil, Emma Waechter and Gabrielle Matiszik raced as a team and finished just a mere two seconds ahead of the Terriers with a time of 1:44.15. The other victories came on the back of junior Kylie Danin, who was victorious in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:00.02 as well as the 100-yard backstroke at 59.68.

The Seawolves swept the 100-yard backstroke, as Dunn and freshman Yurika Tomita finished second and third behind Danin with times of 1:02.83 and 1:04.63, respectively. Matiszik finished second in the 200-meter freestyle behind Danin with a time of 2:01.51 as well.

Freshman Stephanie Reiter was a driving force for Stony Brook in diving as she placed second on the 1-meter and 3-meter dives with scores of 163.72 and 172.05 respectively. Freshman Valerie Reiter placed third behind her sister in both events with scores of 149.70 and 155.92. Junior Noelle Perrone placed fourth in the events as well with 140.47 and 138.97 points.

Smith considered this meet to be a large stepping stone for her team to build on in the long run.

“It was a small step that’s going to make a big difference for our future,” Smith said. “Can’t wait to watch what these ladies accomplish.”

Stony Brook now heads to East Meadow, New York for the ECAC Winter Championships on Friday, Nov. 30 through Sunday, Dec. 2. The team returns home after the championship for the Stony Brook Tri-Meet on Saturday, Jan. 12 against Iona and Adelphi.