College Basketball Preview: Stony Brook vs. Boston University

Coming off of a 69-59 win over UMBC at home on Monday, Stony Brook men’s basketball will be looking to avenge its loss to the Boston University Terriers when the Seawolves play host on Friday night.

Boston University, fresh off of an 88-78 victory over Maine, will be looking improve on their 11-13 (6-4 America East) record. Five players scored in double figures for the Terriers, including John Holland, who had a double-double with 24 points and 12 rebounds and became the second player in school history to score 2000 career points.

Stony Brook and Boston University last met on Jan. 20 in Boston, where the Terriers, on the strength of Holland’s 29 points, overcame a nine-point deficit with 13:47 left in the second half to win 67-62. Dallis Joyner (Norfolk, Va.) and Dave Coley (Brooklyn, N.Y.) led the Seawolves with 15 and 13 points respectively in the losing effort.

Stony Brook junior guard Bryan Dougher (Scotch Plains, N.J.), who had 19 points in the win against UMBC, leads the team in both points (13.6 per game) and assists (2.3 per game). Sophomore guard Marcus Rouse (Upper Marlboro, Md.) and senior Chris Martin (Springfield Gardens, N.Y.) should provide additional scoring support, and Joyner will provide size in the post as well as rebounding (6.8 per game).

The Terriers, a young squad featuring seven freshmen, have struggled on the road this season, sporting a 1-10 record away from home. Their only win on the road came at Albany, a 70-67 victory.

The team’s last road game was a 60-48 loss to an injury-depleted New Hampshire team, which saw the Terriers shoot only 26.9 percent from the field.

BU is led by the senior Holland, who leads the conference with 18.7 points per game. Other key Terrier players include junior Darryl Partin, with an average of 13.6 points per game, junior Patrick Hazel, with averages of 5.4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game, and freshman D.J. Irving, with 7.9 points and 3.9 assists per game.

Junior forward Jake O’Brien, a preseason first-team all-conference selection, has a broken bone in his foot and will miss the rest of the season. O’Brien has not played since Dec. 31.