Football victorious in 35-7 routing of New Hampshire

Senior linebacker Shayne Lawless during a 2017 game. Stony Brook won 35-7 against New Hampshire this past Saturday.  ANNA CORREA/STATESMAN FILE

After last week’s 52-28 blowout loss against Towson, Stony Brook Football came into its game on Saturday, Oct. 13 against New Hampshire hoping to get the ship back on course.

Two quick scores within the first seven minutes of the game helped do just that. From then, it was smooth sailing for the Seawolves in their 35-7 victory over the Wildcats at Wildcat Stadium.

“It was important for us to start the game the way we started today after last week,” head coach Chuck Priore said in a press conference. “That momentum helped us throughout the game. It gave us a high level of confidence. I’m proud of our guys and how they played today.”

Stony Brook won by doing what it does best: running the football. The Seawolves amassed 176 yards on the ground, with 163 of those coming from senior running back Donald Liotine. The defense added two more touchdowns for the year, giving them six on the season.

Stony Brook got on the board first in the first quarter when senior quarterback Joe Carbone found junior wide receiver Andrew Trent for an eight-yard touchdown pass to create a 7-0 lead. The lead was extended to 14 just a minute and a half later when redshirt-sophomore cornerback TJ Morrison returned a fumble 35 yards for a score.

The Seawolves’ lead grew to 21-0 in the beginning of the second quarter when senior linebacker Shayne Lawless returned another Wildcats fumble for a 54-yard touchdown. The Wildcats broke the shutout at the end of the second when senior quarterback Trevor Knight connected with senior wide receiver Neil O’Connor for a 27-yard touchdown to cut the lead to 21-7 heading into halftime.

The score remained that way until there was a little over six minutes left in the third quarter, when Carbone hit graduate wide receiver Marshall Ellick for a 19-yard strike to make it a 28-7 game. The Seawolves added one more touchdown for good measure at the end of the fourth quarter when sophomore running back Kameron Pickett ran one in from 18 yards out to wrap up the 35-7 victory.

The 5-2 Seawolves will be back at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Oct. 20 for their homecoming game against the Rhode Island Rams. The game will start at 6 p.m.