Women’s Soccer falls to New Hampshire 1-0

Senior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh tries to gain possession of the ball in a game against Albany on Oct. 19, 2017. JACQUELINE RYAN/STATESMAN FILE

In the 54th minute of action in the scoreless game, New Hampshire junior midfielder Liz Lane picked up a crossed ball and winded up to kick on the left side of the Stony Brook net. Her shot would eventually be the only one of the night, yet enough for a 1-0 New Hampshire victory against Stony Brook Women’s Soccer in Durham, New Hampshire on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Head coach Brendan Faherty was not satisfied with his group’s showing in the game.

“Unfortunately today was not a good performance for our group, but a lot of that has to do with the way New Hampshire played,” Faherty said in a press release. “They made it difficult for us and they thoroughly deserved all three points.”

The Wildcats’ offense had the most success of the game with 10 total shots. Lane’s goal wasn’t the only shot the team had at the net. In the opening three minutes, junior back Megan Rumbold and junior forward Ally Reynolds both took chances at the net in the first and third minute respectively, but to no avail.

Stony Brook finished the matchup with eight total shots, with half landing on net. One of them, an opportunity by sophomore midfielder Kimmy Chavkin, came just three minutes after the New Hampshire goal, but she was stopped by graduate goalkeeper Mia Neas.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sofia Manner kept a solid grip in goal for the Seawolves with six total saves, four coming in the second half of action. Saturday marked the fourth time this season that Manner has been on the losing end of the decision by a goal.

Neas currently leads the league in saves with 65, while Manner trails right behind in second with 61. Neas’ save percentage of 79 percent is also a league-best. The keeper’s clean sheet on Saturday is her first of the season.

Senior forward Julie Johnstonbaugh, who had two shots in the matchup, came close to scoring in the later part of the matchup with a shot in the 77th minute. Neas eventually came up with her final save of the night on the shot, as the two next Stony Brook opportunities by Chavkin and sophomore midfielder Chelsie DePonte did not fall on target.

Faherty believes his team can rebound in time for the team’s next match later on in the week.

“The staff and players will take time over the next 24 hours to reflect on areas we need to grow in so that we can play at a higher level at UMBC on Thursday,” Faherty said.

With three remaining regular-season games left, Stony Brook looks to bounce back with another away game against UMBC on Thursday, Oct. 11 in Baltimore, Maryland. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.