Stony Brook Extends Pikiell’s Contract

Men’s basketball head coach Steve Pikiell signed a contract extension through the 2014-2015 season, the athletics department announced on Thursday.

“I’m honored and humbled to have the opportunity to continue building our program at this great university,” Coach Pikiell said in the release.

Pikiell had been the subject of hiring rumors, with Holy Cross mentioned as the most likely landing place.  Some reports went so far as to say that Holy Cross, which finished in second-last place in the Patior League this season, was set to hire Pikiell.

Pikiell is coming off his fifth and most decorated year as Stony Brook men’s basketball head coach.

Last season, Pikiell guided the Seawolves to a record-breaking 22-10 overall record, setting program marks in overall wins (22) and conference wins (13) on the way to Stony Brook’s first-ever America East title.

The Seawolves won 12 of 13 home games throughout the season, including all eight conference games.

Stony Brook also earned its first-ever postseason berth.  The Seawolves were competitive in the first-round of the NIT, eventually falling to top overall seed Illinois, 76-66.

Pikiell has led Stony Brook to 38 wins over the past two years, the first back-to-back winning season in the school’s Division I basketball history.

For taking the Seawolves from the laughingstock of the America East to the reigning champions and potential powerhouse, Pikiell was recognized as the America East Coach of the Year, the first Stony Brook basketball coach to receive the award.

He was also named the All-Met MBWA Peter A. Carlesimo Coach of the Year by members of the media in the tri-state area, the first coach in school history to earn the award.

Pikiell returns with many familiar faces next fall, as the Seawolves will field four returning starters in Tommy Brenton, Bryan Dougher, Chris Martin and Dallis Joyner.