Women’s basketball head coach Michele Cherry resigns

After a ten-game losing streak, Stony Brook women’s basketball coach, Michele Cherry has resigned as head coach. Stepping in for Cherry will be assistant coach Evelyn Thompson, who is in her second year with the team.

“At this time, it is in my best interest and in the best interest of Stony Brook women’s basketball that I step down,” Cherry said in a statement on the Stony Brook athletics’ website.

Cherry became head coach in 2007 and had an overall record of 27-79, and 13-39 in the America East Conference. The Seawolves were at 3-13 overall and 0-4 in the conference at the time of Cherry’s resignation.

They have fallen to 4-16 under Thompson but did record a win in conference play by defeating Maine.

Cherry’s best season came last year when the Seawolves finished fourth in the conference by going 7-9 and 10-20 overall. She went 8-23 overall and 2-14 in the conference in her first year. During her second season she went 6-23 overall and 4-12 in the conference.

Cherry is the second Stony Brook coach to resign this year, with the first being men’s soccer coach Cesar Markovic. Thompson will remain as interim coach this year and Stony Brook will conduct a national search to find a permanent coach.