Seawolves Soccer Recap

The men’s and women’s soccer teams each returned from a two-game road trip, with only one win between them, as the men defeated Bryant (0-3), 3-0.

The Seawolves (1-2) were led by sophomore Wilbur Bonilla (Brentwood, N.Y.), who found net twice against Bryant, off of assists from sophomore Kevin Zalewski (Parsippany, N.J.), and freshman Berian Gobeil (Montreal, Quebec).

Gobeil also scored, utilizing an assist from freshman Leo Fernandes (North Babylon, N.Y.). Freshman Stefan Manz (Bronx, N.Y.) recorded the clean sheet in his first career start.

The win for the men came just two days after a 4-1 loss at Harvard (2-0).’ Gobeil scored in that game as well, the first goal of the season for both him and the team. Senior James Palumbo (Carmel, N.Y.) assisted the score.

The men play next on Friday, Sept. 8, visiting a St. John’s team ranked fifth in national preseason polls.

The women suffered two losses on their stint away from home, conceding seven goals and scoring only one.

The goal for the Seawolves (0-3-1) came in their Friday night matchup against East Carolina (3-0).’ Sophomore Gabriella Petralia (West Hempstead, N.Y.) scored her first career goal, after receiving a pass from freshman Sa’sha Kershaw (Baltimore, Maryland). Senior shot-stopper Marisa Viola (Cutchogue, N.Y.) had eight saves.

Two days later, the women fell to North Carolina State (4-1) by a score of 4-0. Viola recorded another five saves in 70 minutes.’ The Seawolves managed three shots.

The women are next in action at home on Sept. 10, when they host Quinnipiac at Lavalle Stadium.’