Stony Brook men’s basketball losing streak extended to three

The Stony Brook men’s basketball team lost to Binghamton University (5-10, 2-0 AEC), 57-50, on Monday night, dropping to 6-9 overall and 1-2 in the America East.

The Seawolves shot just 29 percent from the field in another poor shooting performance from the defending America East regular-season champions. Guard Bryan Dougher (Scotch Plains, N.J.) went 0-for-10 from the field, including 0-for-7 from three-point range, contributing all of his four points on two trips to the free throw line.

Marcus Rouse (Upper Marlboro, Md.) led the Seawolves with 14 points.

After a slow start, the Seawolves gained an early 11-6 lead.

They then went nearly eight minutes without a basket, allowing the Bearcats to go on a 16-1 run in the middle of the first half. Moussa Camara scored 13 of those points on his way to a dominating 28-point performance. No other Bearcat scored more than six points.

Late on, Stony Brook rallied to score six straight points to make the score 25-20 at halftime.

Binghamton opened the second half with back-to-back three-pointers, going on an 11-0 run that overwhelmed the Seawolves.

Although Stony Brook managed to hold the Bearcats scoreless in the middle of the second, they never held the lead.

With 4:03 left, the Seawolves cut the deficit to three. However, their inability to score came back to haunt them, and they missed their final six shots.

Despite outrebounding Binghamton 44-37, Stony Brook struggled to convert rebounds to points. Al Rapier (Chicago, Ill.) led both teams with 12 rebounds.

Stony Brook plays again at Pritchard Gymnasium this Saturday against New Hampshire. Tip off is at 2 p.m.