#14/17 Men’s Lacrosse Holds Off Hawks

Stony Brook’s men’s lacrosse team won its third straight game on Saturday night, taking down the Hartford Hawks, 15-12, at LaValle Stadium.

Senior Tom Compitello’s stellar play for the #14/17 Seawolves continued, as the Hauppauge native recorded a career-high six goals and added two assists on his way to a career-high eight points.

Junior Kevin Crowley (New Westminster, British Columbia) tied his career high with five goals.

Junior Jordan McBride, who leads the nation in goals per game (4.11), was held scoreless.

Stony Brook remained undefeated in America East play (2-0) while improving its overall record to 7-3.  The Seawolves are the only team in the America East with an overall record above .500.

Hartford (3-7, 0-2 AE) has not beaten Seawolves men’s lacrosse in Stony Brook since 2000.

The Seawolves burst out of the gate to a 3-0 lead courtesy of Compitello, sophomore Kyle Belton (Langley, British Columbia) and senior Steven Waldeck (Levittown, N.Y.).  Their goals came within 22 seconds of each other, starting with Compitello with 11:10 to go in the first quarter and ending with Waldeck at the 10:48 mark.

Crowley added his 27th of the season to put the Seawolves up 4-0, but a resilient Hawks team fought back to within one by the end of the first quarter.

The Seawolves couldn’t put the Hawks away in the second quarter.  With every punch the hosts landed, Hartford had an answer.

A pair of Crowley goals was followed by two Hartford scores, and the teams traded goals once more before heading to the locker rooms at halftime with the difference still one, 7-6.

Stony Brook came out of the break with fire, scoring five of the third quarter’s six goals to lead by five heading into the fourth.

With a great chance to put the game away, Stony Brook couldn’t finish.  The visitors wouldn’t go away, scoring first in the fourth period.  When the Seawolves answered, the Hawks responded with double, slowly closing the gap.  Aidan Genik had four of his five goals for Hartford in the fourth quarter.

But the Seawolves were able to eventually close the door on Hartford’s hopes.

After conceding with 3:22 left in the game, and with the lead shrunk to four goals, Stony Brook put on a clinic in passing and possession, holding the ball for more than two minutes.

As the clock ticked down, the Seawolves passed the ball around the Hartford goal, never venturing a shot, eluding double teams and defensive schemes to keep Hartford from getting the necessary opportunities to get back into the game.

It worked, as Hartford was only able to manage one more goal, scored with :11 left in the game.  The Seawolves won, 15-12.

Senior netminder Charlie Paar (Huntington, N.Y.) recorded 10 saves for the Seawolves.

Stony Brook’s next opponent will be Binghamton on Saturday, April 17 at 7 p.m.  It’s the first of a two game road trip before the Seawolves wrap up the regular season at home against Vermont on May 1.

Scoring Summary: First Quarter–Compitello (SBU), Belton (SBU), Waldeck (SBU), Crowley (SBU), Compitello (HTF),  Genik (HTF), Bowes (HTF) SBU 4-3 HTF

Second Quarter–Crowley (SBU), Crowley (SBU), Franze (HTF), Bearse (HTF), Compitello (SBU), Bender (HTF)    SBU 7-6 HTF

Third Quarter–Crowley (SBU), Compitello (SBU), Bender (HTF), Compitello (SBU), LeVerne (SBU), Compitello (SBU)

SBU 12-7 HTF

Fourth Quarter–Bearse (HTF), Crowley (SBU), Genik (HTF), Genik (HTF), Trenkle (SBU), Compitello (SBU), Genik (HTF), Genik (HTF)

Final: SBU 15-12 HTF

Faceoffs: SBU: Rand, 12/30, Crowley, 1/1 HTF: Fallon, 18/31

Saves: Paar 10 (SBU), Bement 11 (HTF).