Stony Brook falls to Hofstra for second consecutive loss

Senior middle blocker McKyla Brooks throws the ball in the air before serving in a game against UMBC. Brooks had an eight set kill in a game against Hofstra on Tuesday, Aug. 28. SAMANTHA MONTES/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Volleyball suffered its first sweep this season in an offensively dominated matchup against cross-island rival Hofstra on the road.

“Defensively we were not as locked in as we needed to be against a very powerful Hofstra offense,” head coach Kristin Belzung said in a press release. “While our offensive numbers were a bright spot, it was an uncharacteristic night for us on the other side of the ball. We have a quick turnaround as we head to Akron this weekend.”

Stony Brook began the contest by taking an 8-5 lead, pushing Hofstra to call an early timeout. The Seawolves jumped out to an 18-12 lead in what would be their largest of the game, but the Pride began mounting a comeback. The Hofstra offense responded to the deficit with an 8-3 run, cutting the Stony Brook lead to one point and later tying the set at 23.

The Pride took their first lead since the beginning of the set to go up 25-24, but senior middle blocker McKyla Brooks kept the Seawolves in the set with an eighth set kill. The Stony Brook defense was unable to stop the Hofstra frontcourt and dropped the first set 27-25.

The Hofstra frontcourt continued to find holes in the Seawolves backcourt, jumping out to a nine-point lead midway through the second set. Stony Brook would slowly battle back throughout the set but junior outside hitter Laura Masciullo shut down the comeback attempt to win the set for Hofstra, 25-20.

The Seawolves started the third set with consecutive kills from graduate outside hitter Emily Costello. Both teams traded the lead throughout the set, but the Pride gained a 21-20 lead and fended off the Seawolves comeback attack, winning 25-23.

The Pride’s latest victory serves as a reminder of the dominance the team holds over the Seawolves. The Pride improved their all-time record against the Seawolves to 8-1 and extended their winning streak to six wins.

Three Hofstra players finished the game with over 10 points — Masciullo, who had 12 kills, senior outside hitter Nanishka Perez who ended with 11 and freshman right setter Aisha Skinner who led the team with 13.

Stony Brook will look to regroup when it battles against Maryland on Saturday at 10 a.m. in Akron, Ohio for the Akron Tournament.