Kylie Ohlmiller named America East Woman of the Year

Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse alumna Kylie Ohlmiller protects the ball during a game in the spring 2017 season. Ohlmiller was named the 2018 America East Women of the Year on Tuesday, June 5. KATHLEEN MALONE-VAN DYKE/STONY BROOK ATHLETICS

Stony Brook alumna Kylie Ohlmiller’s time with Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse may be over, but the former Seawolves attacker continues to receive recognition for her historic career.

Ohlmiller was named the 2018 America East Woman of the Year at the conference’s annual awards dinner Tuesday, June 5. She, along with Albany Men’s Lacrosse alumnus Kyle McClancy, was selected as one of the America East’s two senior athletes who “have best distinguished themselves throughout their collegiate career in the areas of academic achievement, athletic excellence, service and leadership,” according to a press release.

Though Ohlmiller was unable to win the elusive NCAA DI championship in her time at Stony Brook, she was able to capture four conference titles and two Tewaaraton Award nominations. Ohlmiller also broke the NCAA records for career points and assists in the 2018 campaign, finishing with 498 points and 246 assists in 84 career games played.

The subtraction of Ohlmiller and nine other graduated seniors will create a difficult hole for the Seawolves to fill in the 2019 season. Ohlmiller and alumna Courtney Murphy combined for 183 goals in the 2018 season and Ohlmiller tallied 157 points, the highest total in all of NCAA DI. Stony Brook head coach Joe Spallina discussed the impact of the senior class after the team’s May 19 loss to Boston College.

“What they’ve done is larger than life in the sense that there’s not many sports that just have a bunch of kids that have taken the sport over,” Spallina said after the loss to the Eagles. “Maybe they didn’t come in as top 100 kids, but they’re leaving as some of the top kids to walk the planet in the sport.”

Ohlmiller recorded 69 assists in 21 games played this season and led the team to its first No. 1 national ranking in program history. She graduated from Stony Brook in May with a degree in sociology.