Men’s College Basketball: Stony Brook can’t keep up with #23 Notre Dame

Despite a smooth 15-point performance from sophomore Marcus Rouse (Upper Marlboro, Md.), the Stony Brook University men’s basketball team was outclassed by the #23 Notre Dame Fighting Irish, losing 88-62 on Sunday afternoon.

Junior guard Bryan Dougher (Scotch Plans, N.J.) went just 1-for-9 from the floor, hitting a three-pointer that represented his full points contribution.

“Our veterans really struggled today, and in order for us to play in a game like this, you need them to play well,” Seawolves head coach Steve Pikiell said in a press release. “You just have to learn from this, move on and hope you don’t face an offensive team like this again.”

Stock in the 4-6 Seawolves has dropped quickly since Stony Brook was picked to finish in second in conference play in the preseason coaches’ poll. The Seawolves suffered a number of injuries, most notably to junior Tommy Brenton, that have hampered efforts on both ends of the floor.

As a result, Stony Brook has just one win in its past six games, and has dropped two in a row with the loss to Notre Dame.

The Irish started off quick with a 5-0 run, but the Seawolves answered back to tie it at five with jumper in the lane from Rouse and Dougher’s only basket of the game.

Rouse looked good as he continues to recover from meniscus injury, shooting 55 percent from the floor while hitting 2-of-4 from three point land.

Stony Brook hung close with Notre Dame for much of the first half, answering Fighting Irish runs with a scoring streak of its own.

But the second half provided the separation many expected, with Notre Dame pulling away to lead by as much as 33 on the way to victory.

Freshmen Dave Coley (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Anthony Jackson (Columbus, Ohio) stepped up to help the Stony Brook offense, contributing 11 and 12 points respectively. Jackson’s contribution came in just 15 minutes on the floor.

The Seawolves have a brief break before returning to action at home against Colgate on Dec. 29. The game is the final tune-up for Stony Brook before it starts conference play on Jan. 2 at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.