Stony Brook Softball picks up victory over Iona

Sophomore pitcher Melissa Rahrich winds up for a pitch in a game against Hartford in 2017. Rahrich pitched a shutout game, giving Stony Brook a 6-0 win over Iona. MARIE MATSUNAGA/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Softball’s offensive production led the team to a 6-0 victory against the Iona Gaels in the second of three consecutive non-conference games.

“This was a pretty solid all-around effort for us,” head coach Megan T. Bryant said in a press release following the victory. “[Sophomore pitcher Melissa Rahrich] threw a great game and was in a good rhythm. Our defense did well and it was good to see our hitters attacking pitches when we had two strikes.”

Stony Brook jumped out to an early lead after junior catcher Irene Rivera doubled to right-center field and drove in sophomore right fielder Jourdin Hering in the top of the first. Sophomore third baseman Riley Craig drove in Rahrich with a single to center field to make the score 2-0 and load the bases. Senior shortstop Chelsea Evans held off her swing the following at-bat and walked with the bases loaded to increase the Seawolves’ lead 3-0.

Offensive action picked up again in the top of the sixth after senior left fielder Ileana Torres brought the Seawolves to 4-0 with the first home run of her collegiate career. Sophomore designated hitter Taylor Pechin’s two-run home run increased the Seawolves’ lead to 6-0 after Rivera drew a walk in the prior at-bat. This game was the first time two Seawolves have homered in the same game since March 31, when Pechin and junior centerfielder Katelyn Corr hit home runs to give the Seawolves a 2-0 victory over the Albany Great Danes.

Rahrich shut down the Iona offense in the circle and prevented the Gaels from reaching past second base. She pitched her fourth shutout and completed her 10th game of the season. The America East Co-Player of the Week gave up five hits and recorded six strikeouts in her ninth victory this season.

The offense charge was led by Pechin, who finished the game going 2-3 with two runs batted in and recorded her team-leading seventh home run of the season. Four Seawolves finished the game with one run batted in, including Rivera, who drove in her team-leading 22nd RBI of the season. Rivera led the team in the game after she reached home plate twice.

The Seawolves improved their overall record to 16-16. The team was to return home to conclude its third of three consecutive games on Thursday, April 19, facing the Wagner Seahawks at University Field. The first pitch was scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m, but has been postponed due to weather.