Stony Brook football signs four to roster

Stony Brook football has signed three junior-college transfers to national letters of intent to play for the Seawolves, head coach Chuck Priore announced on Friday, and added a fourth via a grant-in-aid deal.

Juniors Joseph Danaker (OL), Ivan May (DB) and Steven Watts (OL) all join the Seawolves after playing two years of college football elsewhere.

Danaker joins the Seawolves from Lackawanna College in Pennsylvania, where he was a second-team AJCAA All-American this season. He played right guard on a team that went 9-2 and won its bowl game.

“Joe fits our offensive scheme very well,” Coach Priore said. “He’s a tremendous run blocker who is tough and has a great work ethic.”

May will be leaving Grossmont College, where he led his team in pass breakups with 12. His team finished the season at 6-4 after losing four of its last five games. One of Gorssmont’s wins was by forfeit, a 1-0 win over El Camino College.

“Ivan will add depth at cornerback,” Priore said. “He brings experience and fundamentals after two years of college football at one of the best junior colleges in Southern California.” Grossmont was ranked #7 in Southern California.

Watts played two seasons at Saddleback College. He was a second-team All-Southern California Football Association selection on a Gaucho team that went 8-3 after falling to Cerritos in the Southern California Bowl.

“Steven’s athleticism will have an immediate impact on the team,” Priore said. “He’s a natural pass blocker.”

Stony Brook also signed freshman Michael Lisi to a grant-in-aid to play for the Seawolves. Lisi, a Nassau County product, spent last season with Suffield Academy in Connecticut, earning Outstanding Lineman honors on a Tigers team that went 7-1.

“Mike will help our depth at center,” Priore said.

The Seawolves will be trying to fill an enormous gap in the offensive line as senior guards Brian Crew and Armand Poole and standout senior center Paul Fenaroli all graduate.

Stony Brook also recently announced that it would be playing at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) on Sept. 3, 2011, to open its 2011 campaign.

UTEP lost to BYU in the New Mexico Bowl on Saturday, 52-24.