Men’s Lacrosse defeats UMBC for second win of the season

Sophomore midfielder Wayne White makes a pass in a game against Brown. White scored two goals in a game against UMBC, aiding the Seawolves to a 7-6 win over the Retrievers. LUIS RUIZ DOMINGUEZ/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook Men’s Lacrosse found itself up by one goal as conference foe UMBC took a timeout with 22 seconds left in the matchup. As UMBC came out of the huddle with a set play for the final seconds, Stony Brook’s defense looked for one stop to seal its second victory of the season.

With time winding down, the Seawolves’ defensive pressure was able to put an end to UMBC’s three-goal fourth period and pick up the victory 7-6 on Sunday at UMBC Stadium.

“We had our best defensive effort of the season against a very disciplined and well-coached team,” head coach Jim Nagle said in a press release. “Penalties let UMBC back in the game. I was proud the way our guys held on and got the W.”

The 13 combined goals was the lowest scoring game the Seawolves have had through their seven games this season. The team has stepped up its offensive game as of late, notching a total of 32 goals in the last three games since scoring two goals against Hofstra on Feb. 27.

UMBC formulated a late rally as it entered the fourth period trailing 7-3, much like Stony Brook did in its previous game against Virginia. The team got to work early by notching three goals in the period’s first five minutes to shrink the Stony Brook lead to one goal; however, that would be the final goal of the game.

Stony Brook was outshot 37-22 in the game despite the victory. Both teams had equal opportunities at the net with 12 shots on goals each.

Throughout the season, every time the Seawolves have led going into the second half, they have come up victorious. However, this also applies in the losing margin, as the team has never came back from a halftime deficit thus far.

Sophomore goalkeeper Michael Bollinger got his fourth straight start for Stony Brook, posing a 50 percent save percentage and six shots saved. Bollinger’s record in net improved to 2-2 on the year. He has stopped 36 shots total in the four games he has played. In every game in which he has received a victory decision, Bollinger has had a 50 percent or better save percentage.

Sophomore midfielder Wayne White had a strong outing for Stony Brook, scoring two goals on his two attempted shots, his first multi-goal game of the season. His two goals helped the Seawolves secure a 4-2 lead heading into halftime. Senior long stick middie Tyler Anderson and freshman attackman Jack Walsh both scored goals, their second and third goals of the season, respectively, in the first half as well. Walsh went on to score the seventh and final Seawolves goal with 48 seconds remaining in the third period.

A problem that the Seawolves ran into was their committed penalties. The Retrievers had seven man-advantage opportunities, yet only capitalized on two tries. Stony Brook had three opportunities and scored two goals. Another Seawolves flaw was in the faceoff category, where they won just five of the 17 faceoffs in the game. Throughout the seven games, the team has been a part of 118 faceoffs, coming up victorious in 54, or 31 percent, of the tries.

Stony Brook now moves to 2-5 on the year and a 1-0 start to its conference record with the victory. The team travels back home for its first conference matchup against Hartford on March 24. Faceoff is set for 1 p.m.