No. 1 Women’s Lacrosse handles Delaware 20-8

Redshirt-senior attacker Courtney Murphy attempts to make a pass in a game during the 2016 season. Murphy scored five goals and had two assists, aiding the Seawolves to a 20-8 win over Delaware. ARACELY JIMENEZ/STATESMAN FILE

No. 1 Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse continued to roll on Tuesday night, scoring 20 goals in a 20-8 victory over Delaware at Delaware Stadium. The Seawolves finish their road trip with a perfect 3-0 record, and are now 6-0 on the season.

Senior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller had a season-high 10 points, scoring six goals and assisting on another four. Redshirt-senior attacker Courtney Murphy scored five goals and recorded two assists, giving her seven points on the night.

“Mid-week road games are always difficult, we had a really sluggish start tonight,” head coach Joe Spallina said in a press release. “Give credit to Delaware, I thought they had a good game plan and were focused right out of the gate. But after absorbing a punch, I thought our squad did a nice job of settling in.”

The Blue Hens were in control for a majority of the first half, something the Seawolves were not accustomed to. Stony Brook fell behind Delaware 6-4 with just over five minutes left in the half. That would have been the first time all season the team headed to the locker room trailing its opponent.

The Seawolves then went on one of their runs, and the rest is history. Ohlmiller and Murphy scored a combined six goals during the Seawolves’ 9-0 run that spanned from 4:25 left in the first half to 22:59 left in the second half, pushing the score to 13-6 in favor of the Seawolves. The Blue Hens responded with a quick two goals, but the Seawolves sealed the deal with a 7-0 run.

“I thought we did a great job adjusting [in the draw circle], and we got the ball back to our offense,” Spallina said. “Our offense is such an explosive unit. Tonight, I loved that we had eight different goal scorers, and a majority of our goals were assisted… That’s the sign of a good team. Defensively, we adjusted in the second half and only allowed two goals.”

Stony Brook had 19 of the total 29 draw controls Tuesday night, one less than the total amount of goals the team scored. The team also took a season-high 40 shots, with 34 of them being on goal. The Seawolves have not taken less than 30 shots in any game this season and have recorded 195 shots in six games.

Junior midfielder Keri McCarthy, sophomore attacker Taryn Ohlmiller and sophomore midfielder Ally Kennedy added two goals apiece. Freshman attacker Rebecca Kinsley scored her first career goal for the Seawolves, finding the back of the net with 20 seconds remaining in the contest.

Stony Brook will return home to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Saturday, March 17 for a game against No. 10-ranked Towson. The matchup is slated for a 5 p.m. start.