SBU Bats Fall Short

Seawolves pitcher Alyssa Struzenberg struck out four in three innings of relief but it wasn't enough to lead to a SBU win. (Kenneth Ho / The Statesman)

Stony Brook University’s baseball and softball teams were both in action Wednesday. Baseball made the short trip to Hofstra University to take on the Pride, while softball hosted the Long Island University Blackbirds. When it was all said and done, both Seawolves teams found themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard.

Despite freshman Maxx Tissenbaum’s three hits and four runs scored, the Seawolves dropped a close one at Hofstra’s University field, falling 12-10. Though it held a 6-4 lead in the fourth inning, Stony Brook watched its lead slip away, as the Pride put together a four-run seventh inning that gave Hofstra the lead for good. The Pride eventually closed it out after a late Seawolves threat, winning 12-10.

Back at home, the softball team fell victim to a no-hitter, falling 3-0 after a stellar pitching performance from Blackbirds’ senior Blaire Porter. After Long Island homered in the bottom of the third, Stony Brook could not manage to close the gap, falling by the same margin.

Both teams will be back in action this weekend, looking to get back in the win column. Baseball will trek to Albany to kick off a four-game series against the Great Danes Saturday, while softball will host the Great Danes in a three-game series also starting Saturday.