Track and Field competes at IC4A/ECAC Championships in Boston

Junior Chinque Thompson takes the baton during a relay race in a meet in 2016. Thompson along with freshman Amanda Stead, sophomore Mary Chimezie and junior Sarah Militano set a new school record in the 4x400m with a time of 3:49.32 at theIC4A/ECAC Championships. KRYSTEN MASSA/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Track and Field spent the weekend in Boston competing in the IC4A/ECAC Championships.

“Good first day here at the IC4A and ECAC Championships,” head coach Andy Ronan said in a press release. “Today was about advancing people to finals in their events, and I feel we accomplished as much as we could have expected too. So, it sets up an exciting Sunday here in Boston for this group as they try to close out the indoor season with some big performances.”

Junior Holly Manning qualified for the mile with a time of 4:51.88. Senior Courtney Warden took part in the women’s 60m hurdles semi-final and she finished with a time of 8.44, while sophomore Emmanuela Lauredent clocked in slightly after with a time of 8.70.

Freshman Amanda Stead and sophomore Mary Chimezie joined junior Sarah Militano and Thompson in the women’s 4x400m preliminary relay with a time of 3:49.56. Juniors Wayne Williams and Shane Harris, freshman Michael Linbrunner and sophomore Sean Ideozu clocked in at 3:16.33 in the men’s 4x400m preliminary relay.

Five Seawolves competed in events on day two. Junior Chinque Thompson finished the women’s 60m dash final with a time of 7.60. Militano finished the same event with a time of 7.78.

Senior Kaylyn Gordon took home the ECAC title in the triple jump, setting a school record in the process. Gordon won the women’s triple jump marking 12.63m, beating her previous best of 12.56m.

“Today was another banner day for the program,” Ronan said in a press release. “Kaylyn Gordon showed that she is a big-time performer, producing a school record jump on her last attempt to beat the defending champion in the triple jump; every time she participates she competes to the very end and that is why she is rewriting the record books each season.”  

Warden finished second in the women’s 60m hurdles with a time of 8.45. Senior Tiana Guevara finished fourth with a time of 9:35.35 in the women’s 3000m. Thompson and Militano competed in the women’s 60m dash. Thompson finished with a time of 7.65, earning fifth place while Militano finished eighth with a time of 7.78. Manning placed sixth in the women’s mile with a time of 4:51.34.

The quartet of Stead, Militano, Thompson and Chimezie finished the 4×400 relay with a time of 3:49.32, setting a new school record.

Michael Watts took part in the men’s 3000m run and finished second with a time of 8:03.34.

“Mike Watts also produced another big performance in the 3000m, by taking second in the event with a super run that also produced a school record,” Ronan said. “In the same event, we had three other guys all finish under eight minutes and 20 seconds, super racing by the group.” 

Ronan said he is proud of his team and the progress it has made over the course of the season.

“This ended a very positive indoor season for both the men and the women,” Ronan said. “Our goal each season is to get better and improve the profile of the program, we accomplished that this indoor season. I am very happy with the commitment and efforts of both squads to accomplish our goals.”

Stony Brook will compete in the NCAA Championships on March 9 at 4 p.m. in College Station, Texas.