No. 1-ranked Women’s Lacrosse gains fifth straight victory, defeats Michigan

Senior Kylie Ohmiller charges the net during a game against Denver on Jan. 25, 2018. Ohlmiller scored a team-high four goals during the game against Michigan on Monday, March 5. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

The No. 1-ranked Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team shut down its first non-ranked opponent after facing four straight nationally ranked teams to start the season, taking down Michigan 16-3 at U-M Lacrosse Stadium on Monday afternoon.

Sophomore attacker Taryn Ohlmiller built off her last game against No. 8 Northwestern with another strong showing, scoring two goals and assisting on five goals for a total of seven points. She has 14 points over her last two games, and now leads the team with 30 points in five contests this year.

“This was a great road trip for our team, beating two Big Ten programs on the road is great,” head coach Joe Spallina said in a press release. “We have a close group that enjoys being together, and that translates onto the field with the way they play for each other.”

The Seawolves trailed the Wolverines 2-1 only 12 minutes into the game. Ohlmiller scored three minutes into the contest before Michigan’s freshman attacker Caitlin Muir and junior midfielder Grace Hemmer scored to give their team an early lead. The Wolverines’ third and final goal came from the stick of Muir with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

At that point, Stony Brook was already leading 16-2.

“I can’t say enough about our defense, they do such a good job adjusting and making opposing offenses uncomfortable,” Spallina said. “Offensively, every goal we scored that wasn’t a free position one was assisted. That’s the way we play and I love that about us.”

Senior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller scored a team-high four goals during a 15-0 run that started with about 18 minutes left in the first half and lasted until there was just over 10 minutes remaining in regulation. The senior Ohlmiller added two assists on the day, giving her six points in the matchup.

Redshirt-senior attacker Courtney Murphy scored three goals and had two assists, good for five points. Her three goals give her a team-high 19 goals on the season. Senior attacker Emma Schait recorded four points in the game, scoring her first hat-trick of the season and assisting on one goal as well.

Junior midfielder Keri McCarthy scored two goals, and freshman midfielder Sarah Pulis scored her first goal as a Seawolf with 15:44 left in the second half.

Stony Brook outshot Michigan 33-14, and led in shots on goal by a final tally of 26-10. The team also had more draw controls and free-position shots than Michigan with a 14-7 and 9-3 advantage, respectively.

The Seawolves will conclude their three-game road trip on Tuesday, March 13 when they take on the Delaware Blue Hens at Tubby Raymond Field at 6 p.m.