2018 to be a good year for anime fans

“Made in Abyss” is one of the anime shows with new seasons starting in 2018. The series won Anime of the Year at Crunchyroll’s 2017 Anime Awards. DOMENICO VESCIO/FLICKR VIA CC BY 2.0

Between the new arc of the infamous “Fate” series, hit romance show “Just Because!” and the manga-based “Made in Abyss,” last year was a good run for anime.

So what’s in store for the new year? Here’s a quick listing of what anime fans can look out for in 2018.

1. Made in Abyss, Season 2

After the show made it big in the anime fandom last summer, fans can breathe a sigh of relief, as the show is said to continue with a second season. The new season (also based on the ongoing manga series) was announced at the “Deep in Abyss Katari” event last November, where they first showed the sequel preview. The storyline revolves around the adventures of a young girl named Riko and a robot boy named Reg, who journey into the mystical and dark underground world known as The Abyss. The show is surprisingly twisted, reflecting the manga’s darker, more gruesome undertones. Much of the horror still has yet to arise from the point the first season cut off, so fans should expect some rougher seas in the sequel.

2. Sword Art Online: Alicization and Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

“Sword Art Online” (SAO) is a show that helped make anime mainstream. Based on a light novel series, SAO dives into the world of virtual reality. The main character, Kirito, gets trapped with hundreds of other players in the world of “Sword Art Online.” A death in the game results in the death of the person themselves, so the players fight for survival in order to reach the last level and escape the game. Both the first and second season were split into two different arcs, making for four total storylines that surprisingly run quite smoothly.

The “SAO Alternative” season will be a side story based on the first arc of season two, “Gun Gale Online,” and will air this spring. The official third season of SAO,” Sword Art Online: Alicization,” was announced following the Tokyo Aki No Saiten event (Fall Festival) in October, with the first visual teaser appearing on the SAO Twitter account. Though the official release date is still unknown, the creator teased a 2018 release.

3. One Punch Man, Season 2

The long-awaited new season of “One Punch Man” comes with a catch: it will not be animated by the same studio. Madhouse, the first season’s animating studio, will be stepping down, and J.C Staff Studios will be working on it instead. The new studio is primarily known for animating romances, like projects “Toradora!” and “Golden Time,” whereas Madhouse has had a history with darker, mature styles. J.C Staff’s experience in that area is slim to none. Because of this, the oncoming season of “One Punch Man” could be a hit or miss.

The first season of “One Punch Man” follows a superhero named Saitama that is tired of being a hero. After meeting a cyborg boy named Genos, Saitama sets on an adventure to battle a countless number of villains. Though the release date was supposed to come out at the end of 2017, there is still yet to be any news regarding its airing, so there’s also likely to be a wait with this one.

4. Tokyo Ghoul:re

Much like “Sword Art Online,” “Tokyo Ghoul” plays a massive role in mainstreaming anime culture. It is set in a world where humans share society with ghouls that feed on human flesh. Kaneki, the show’s protagonist, falls into the hands of a twisted ghoul and ends up becoming one himself. At least, half of him does. The darkness and gore has left many viewers craving more. The new addition to the “Tokyo Ghoul” franchise is said to release this April.