Football’s Bolden tweets he has been cleared after injury on Saturday

Senior wide receiver Ray Bolden (No. 13, above) has been cleared to play this weekend after suffering a severe injury on Saturday Nov. 11. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON/STATESMAN FILE 

Stony Brook Football senior wide receiver Ray Bolden tweeted on Monday that he has been cleared to play Maine this weekend after getting knocked unconscious during Saturday’s 38-10 win over Wagner. Despite Bolden’s tweet, Stony Brook Athletics could not confirm that he has been cleared at the time of the publishing of this article.

Head coach Chuck Priore said that Bolden was feeling better and would play this weekend pending the doctor’s decision, during the weekly Colonial Athletic Association teleconference on Monday morning. After initial concerns over a possible neck injury, Priore said Bolden was being treated for “a little bit of whiplash” and “concussion symptoms.”

“It was scary,” Priore said. “But, y’know, upon getting to the hospital, CAT Scans, and all that stuff… everything showed with no problems.”

Bolden was knocked unconscious midway through the third quarter on Saturday after a helmet-to-helmet collision. The Seawolves top wide receiver lay on the turf for 10  minutes entirely motionless with trainers surrounding him. Priore said he was unconscious until he was in the ambulance to the hospital. An hour later, Bolden tweeted that he was “all good” and dubbed himself “chocolate thunda,” ensuring fans he would be back in action soon.

Despite getting his senior day cut short, Bolden’s 33 receiving yards increased his career total to 2,070 yards, good enough for third all-time in program history. Bolden has been key to the Seawolves success his entire career, but particularly this season. His nine receiving touchdowns are the second-most in the CAA and account for half of Stony Brook’s scores in the air.

Another key offensive player, senior running back Stacey Bedell, also left Saturday’s game after getting injured on the first play from scrimmage. During a weekly video segment Priore produces with Stony Brook Athletics, he called Bedell’s injury a “minor ankle sprain.”

The Seawolves head to Orono, Maine on Saturday to finish out the regular season strong before the Football Championship Subdivision playoff bracket is announced on Sunday. Stony Brook moved up to No. 10 in the FCS STATS poll on Monday, the team’s highest ranking since the final week of 2012, the last season the program reached the FCS playoffs.