Women’s hoops bounces back with dominant win over Fairleigh Dickinson

The Stony Brook women’s basketball team (3-3) beat Fairleigh Dickinson University (3-3) by a score of 68-51 at Pritchard Gymnasium on Thursday.

Sophomore Sam Landers (Springfield, V.A.) led the team with 14 points.  Sophomore Gerda Gatling (Woodbridge, V.A.) and junior Destiny Jacobs (Glen Burnie, M.I.) combined for 18 rebounds.

Although the Seawolves won the opening tip, the Knights scored the first basket.  However, Fairleigh Dickinson never held the lead again.

From then on it was a Stony Brook-dominated game, with the Seawolves exploding for 11 points in the first six minutes.

“We just played with more intensity, we played defense tonight, our defense wasn’t there [other nights],” Stony Brook head coach Michele Cherry said. “It was a good start.”

While the Knights cut their deficit to just four with four minutes left in the opening period, Stony Brook led 33-22 at the half.

Fairleigh Dickinson didn’t have a chance in the second half, never coming within 10 points of the lead. The Seawolves cruised easily to the win, accelerated by good defense and precise shooting.

“[We did a] good job on the court. We didn’t turn the ball over a lot, we only had four turnovers in the second half, and that’s how you have to close out games,” Cherry said. “A lot of good came out of tonight.”

In addition to her 9 rebounds, Gatling also scored 10 points. Senior Kirsten Jeter (Elmont, N.Y.) finished the game with seven points, eight rebounds, and four steals.

Stony Brook’s next game is December 5 at 2:00 p.m. at Pritchard Gymnasium.