Swimming falls short in tri-meet against Sacred Heart and LIU Brooklyn

The reopened university pool located in the Pritchard Gymnasium. The Stony Brook swimming and diving team fell to Sacred Heart and LIU Brooklyn in a tri-meet on Oct. 28. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook swimming and diving team failed to win an event in their second meet of the year at Sacred Heart as the program continues to develop in its return season.

“This week, we were unfortunately hit with a few injuries which led to some inconsistency in our training,” head coach Janelle Atkinson said in a press release. “Still, we took a step in the right direction and gained some valuable experience by competing for the second time in our program’s return.”

The closest competitions for Stony Brook came in the 50-yard freestyle, where sophomore Irene Du finished 3.97 seconds behind first place, and the 100-yard breaststroke, where freshman Sara Chin finished 4.95 seconds behind the lead. Chin’s third-place finish in the event was the highest placing a Stony Brook swimmer earned on the day.

Junior Tess Stepakoff, who is an assistant copy editor for The Statesman, finished seventh in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:14.32. Junior Emily Cabral finished seventh in the 100-yard backstroke with a 1:08.94 finishing time.

Overall, Stony Brook lost its head-to-head match-up against Sacred Heart by a score of 234-38 and against LIU Brooklyn 190.5-49.5.

The meet was another building block for a program coming off a five-year hiatus. The loss drops Stony Brook to 0-3 on the season and 0-1 in the conference. All of the team’s losses have come on the road.

Stony Brook’s next match is against Siena on Nov. 4 at 1 p.m. and will be the last of its current road trip. The two programs have never competed directly against each other.

“We are hopeful that we will return to full force next week, and will start looking forward to our match up against Siena,” Atkinson said.

The Seawolves will host a meet against Saint Peter’s on Nov. 18 at 4 p.m. Stony Brook won both of its previous matches against Saint Peter’s back in 2002 and 2006.