Men’s Basketball alum Carson Puriefoy signs deal to play in Germany

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball alumnus Carson Puriefoy poses for HOOPLA. Puriefoy was signed by the MLP Academics Heidelberg in Germany this past Sunday, Oct. 15. NINA LIN/STATESMAN FILE

Stony Brook Men’s Basketball alumnus Carson Puriefoy reached a deal to join MLP Academics Heidelberg in the German ProA League on Sunday, according to multiple reports. Puriefoy confirmed the signing via Twitter. Puriefoy will likely be the backup point guard to former America East rival and University of New Hampshire point guard Jaleen Smith.

The former Seawolf, who graduated in 2016, was most recently playing for Valmiera/ORDO in the Latvijas Basketbola Līga (LBL), but only played one game for the team before leaving due to an injury. In his lone appearance with the team, the point guard put up 17 points, three rebounds and one steal.

Puriefoy is now the second Stony Brook men’s basketball team player in the last two years to join a team in Germany. Former Seawolf and forward Roland Nyama is currently playing for the PS Karlsruhe LIONS in the same league as Puriefoy’s new team.

Several former members of the men’s basketball team have signed to professional teams in the recent months. Along with Nyama and Puriefoy, point guard Lucas Woodhouse signed a deal back in August to play for Korbrat in Korisliiga, the top-tier Finnish basketball league. Most recently, forward Jameel Warney was signed to the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks G-League affiliate, the Texas Legends, for the second straight year.

Puriefoy helped lead the Seawolves to their first ever NCAA tournament back in the 2015-16 season alongside Warney. During his senior campaign, the point guard averaged 14.9 points, 3.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds per game. His 1,572 points over his four year career at Stony Brook are good for fourth on the team’s all-time scoring list. Warney is the all-time leader in that category.

MLP Academic Heidelberg is in third place with a 3-1 record in the ProA League. Heidelberg’s next game is against the Hamburg Towers on Oct. 22 at 5:00 p.m. Central European Time zone.

Correction: Oct. 18, 2017

In a previous version of this story, Carson Puriefoy was misspelled.